chapter thirteen

chapter thirteen: the deal

Soyara Pov

When I regained consciousness for the second time, I realized that Luke was nowhere to be seen. As I sat up, propping myself up with my elbows, I began to feel a burning sensation in my head, right above my left eyebrow. The pain was unbearable as it began throbbing.

       This pain was like nothing else I had ever experienced as it began to pick apart my mind, piece by piece, chipping away at an unknown source. It only worsened as a new figure stepped into the room, someone far worse than I had thought, Darth Vader. His deep breaths echoed in my mind, fueling the pain. However, as I was about to cry out, it stopped. I was left confused and afraid. What was that?

       Vader spoke deeply, "So you're the girl my son spoke so highly of?"

       Despite my fear, I was still able to smirk, "Which one? I'm afraid there have been a few girls throughout Luke's life. Aunt Beru, Leia, the mechanic I caught him with by the storage closet..."

       "Enough. It would seem your dry commentary matches that of your adoptive brother, Han Solo." He replied, completely unphased.

He knows. What else did Luke-I-mean Darth Malevolence share?

Before I could ask, the Sith lord waved his hand dismissively, "Young Soyara, it would serve your best interest to remain silent. The Emperor and I would prefer to see you face the same fate as your master, however, I believe that you serve a purpose that the Emperor does not yet see. So, it would seem that you now have a choice."

       A choice? Why do I get the feeling that it's not exactly going to be a fair one?

"You will serve as a test for Darth Malevolence. It's come to my attention that he believes you can be turned. I, on the contrary, do not. I sense your feelings to be stronger than most Jedi I have killed, but I also sense a great sense of stubbornness in you. Here is your choice. I will let my son attempt to persuade you, but if he does not, he fails this test and must face the Emperor's chosen punishment. If you are successfully turned, he will pass, and you will be allowed to leave if you choose to." He folded his arms over his chest as he waited for my response.

I thought about my options. What choice did I have? He knew I'd never turn, but would I if I knew I was putting Luke in danger?

I asked, "What is the chosen punishment?"

Darth Vader chuckled darkly underneath his mask, "That is for you to find out, young Soyara. It all depends on you."

I reluctantly bowed my head in defeat, "I understand."