chapter one

chapter one: the hope

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

"Soyara"

"Ahsoka?"

I called out my Master's name as I opened my eyes. A frustrated sigh escaped my lips as I realized that once again, I had failed to connect with my former master through meditation. This was day four of trying to reach her, or any Jedi for that matter, through the Force. As I came back to terms with my surroundings, the feeling of numbness in my legs began to burn, letting me know that I had been in meditation for longer than I had expected. I'm starting to think it's impossible to reach out to the Jedi that have gone before me. This has to be some cruel trick to make padawans meditate more.

I tried to stand to my feet, making sure to dust the grainy sand that likes to cling to everything on the desert planet of Tatooine. Between the blistering heat and the constant feeling of coarse sand in all of my clothes, I began to wonder how anyone, especially a Jedi Master, would deliberately choose to make this planet, this sandy hut, their home. Muttering under my breath, I complained, "Why Tatooine? Why couldn't he have chosen to go into exile somewhere with a more forgivable climate like Naboo or Dantooine?"

"The answer is quite simple, actually. I chose to stay with Luke when he was hidden from his father and watch over him as he grew," a strange voice answered my complaints. Rather than seeking out the speaker, I summoned my dual lightsabers to my hand, igniting their clear blue blades, as I crouched into a defensive position.

"Show yourself." I spun around, looking for any sign of an intruder but found nothing. After a moment of silence, I cautiously relaxed, not yet sheathing my sabers just yet. When I glanced behind me once more, I noticed the blue glow of a figure that hadn't been behind me a moment ago. Almost immediately, I was able to recognize the figure as Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, better known to me from Luke's stories as "Old Ben". Still in shock, I was only able to manage a whisper as I sheathed my sabers, "Master Kenobi?"

He chuckled gently, "Yes, young Soyara. I am Master Obi-Wan Kenobi."

My lips turned up in a smile as I commented, "I was starting to think you weren't going to show."

The Jedi Master only shrugged, "I've noticed your recent attempts to contact either Ahsoka or I, but I felt that it was best to test your patience first. I do apologize, young one."

I opened my mouth the ask why he felt the need to test me, but I pushed it aside. I was here for a reason. Luke.

"Master, I can understand why a test might be necessary first, but now that you're here, I have a question to ask you about—," I was cut off as he finished my sentence for me.

"Luke." Although I wasn't sure what exactly to expect, Obi-Wan's suddenly solemn tone was not what I wanted to hear. He took a deep breath before continuing, "Soyara, I know this may be a bitter pill to swallow, but the answers you seek about young Skywalker may not be what you want to hear."