chapter fourteen

chapter fourteen: the argument

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Luke Pov

       As I sat cross-legged on my bed, I wrung my hands to keep me awake. My eyes were fighting to stay open while my mind pleaded with me to sleep after two days of non-stop training and worrying. Soyara was a test. That was the only way Vader would've kept his deal to protect her, if she served a purpose. I had yet to discover what that purpose was, but tests often meant that I had to successfully complete a task, but that task had a meaning for me to uncover that was equally as important. I was so lost in my own thoughts that I almost missed Soyara walking back out, dressed in my robes.

They fit her even better than I thought they would. I consciously made an effort not to stare, but it was proving to be a harder task than I thought. There was no denying that she was radiant, like an ember glowing brighter than the fire itself. Her grey eyes met mine as her lips turned up in a shy smile. I was pulled from my trance as she sat on the corner of the bed closest to her, "This sparks a few memories, doesn't it? Late night talks in each other's quarters. It feels nice."

       I nodded, "It sure does. Maybe that can be something that doesn't have to change."

       She sighed, "Maybe." She noticed the singular glove laying on my bed. Carefully, she picked it up, pulling it over her right hand. With a goofy grin, she held out her hand like she would if she were lifting something with the Force, "What is this glove for? And where's it's mate?"

       I swallowed harshly. She hadn't been on Bespin. She didn't know about anything other than the shocking outcomes. I joined the Empire, Han was frozen in carbonite, and Leia left Bespin with only Chewie and Lando. What she didn't know was that I lost my hand, discovered my true heritage, and served as a distraction for the Empire in order to let the Rebellion escape, one last time. At that point I hadn't been guaranteed Soyara or the others' safety, so I had stalled Vader in order to let them escape what he and the Emperor had planned for the Rebels. The only problem now was how to convey all of this to her, without letting her know that I did it in part for their sake.

She looked at me expectantly, so I held out my arm, rolling up my sleeve in order to show her the prosthetic. At first, she didn't notice. She gently felt the skin of my forearm until she jerked back. The panel. With fear in her eyes, she glanced up at me, "What did they do to you?"

I pulled back the panel, "Soyara, it's a prosthetic. I lost my hand in a duel on Bespin, but the Empire was able to fix me up." I tried to give a convincing smile, "It's alright. I can still feel." I held her hand in mine, letting her know it was okay.

She gripped it firmly, "Who did this to you?"

My silence was the only answer she needed. Suddenly her eyes narrowed, "Vader."

I nodded, "Yes, but-"

She didn't give me a chance to answer before she leapt into action, "How could you pledge loyalty to the machine that chopped off your hand? Are you out of your mind?"

"Sor..."

She crossed her arms, "Don't 'Sor' me. I know he might be your father, but he's not your  true family. Wake up from this fantasy and come home, Luke."

That was the last straw. I whispered, "Get out."

She was taken aback, "What?"

I glared at her, "I said 'Get out'." She was frozen in place I as I yelled, "Get out!"

She didn't say another word as she left the room, tears pricking her eyes. I threw a pillow at the door as it closed, furious that despite all the months of self-control I had been working on, I still couldn't master my overpowering emotions. Every time she 'innocently' mentioned my dead name, it was a punch to the gut. It was a reminder of my old life and my own naivety as a Jedi. I was no longer a Jedi, but her ability to get under my skin so quickly proved that I was not yet the fully pledged Sith that I had been training so hard to be. I needed her to see that Luke Skywalker wasn't coming back, but how?

•••

Soyara Pov

        The door to his quarters closed swiftly behind me with a thud. My mind was reeling after what I had witnessed. Once again, I had let my mouth turn my only chance to get any answers into a fight. I sighed loudly before roaming the hallways.

       This time, I wasn't sneaking around like some stowaway. I let myself just walk until either I was found, or I found something I could use to contact Leia and explain myself. Ultimately, my feet led me to the hangar. From my position, I could see Delta Squad returning from a patrol accompanied by a more formally dressed trooper. They wore a pauldron their left shoulder, marking them as a trooper with status. When the trooper took off his helmet, I stopped myself from coming out from where the shadow of the door hid me from their view. The trooper was none other than Rafe. He had been both my savior and betrayer as he was the one to guide me to the med-bay only to turn me in without a second thought. My gaze lingered on the TIE to his right as the thought crossed my mind. I could make it. I could fly out of here, and never look back.

        I took a single step forward as if I were going to make a break for it, but I couldn't bring myself to take another step. If I leave, I fail both Wedge's and my own personal mission. I came here to protect him. I can't leave without either that data or Luke himself.

        The TIE squad started walking my way, laughing as Gael used his hands to explain a story. I didn't stick around to find out why it was so funny. I ducked into the closest hallway and miraculously found myself back in the med-bay. A medical droid was frantically milling about, searching for something. When it noticed me, it raced in my direction, "Patient 2187, you were missing from your room, where have you been?"

I shrugged, "Nowhere. If you're afraid of me leaving this ship, I don't think you have to worry about that." I motioned to my shoulder, "I'm in no position to fly just yet." The lie calmed the droid as it ushered me back to my cot.

        "You are on bed rest until tomorrow afternoon, please follow the bed rest procedures until then," the medical droid recommended while checking my arm.

        I raised an eyebrow, "What will happen after my bed rest runs out?"

         The droid went silent as it stilled, "I've said too much. Goodnight patient 2187, and good luck." It rushed out of the the room before I could ask what that was supposed to mean.