prologue

prologue: 15 years ago

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    "Hello there, little one. Are you lost?"

     A young girl with simple grey eyes and long brunette hair that was pulled back out of her face gazed up at the source of the question and slowly inched backwards. "Wait." The stranger said quickly. The girl stopped, but remained tense. The hooded figure crouched down and carefully lowered her hood to reveal a Togruta female. She reached her hand out the small human child, "I'm Ashla. I only want to help." Ashla gave the small child a reassuring smile.

     Cautiously, the small child took the outstretched hand and looked to the Togruta, "I'm Soyara."

      Ashla repeated her question from before, "Are you lost?" The little girl looked around the vibrantly colored marketplace. After a quick survey of the area, she nodded. Ashla stood to her feet, still holding Soyara's hand. "Do you know your parent's names?" Once again, the child had to think about it. She shook her head in reply.

     Of course, Ashla thinks to herself, she only seems to be around five or six. "Do you think you would know them if you saw them?" Ashla questioned the young girl. At this, Soyara nodded her head. Well, that's a start. "Do you mind if I put you on my shoulders so you can see better?" Ashla tried to ask. The child furiously shook her head side to side and sprinted off into the crowd.

     Ashla swiftly followed after her, pulling her cloak's hood to hide her blue striped lekkus, but she soon realized that the crowd would be harder for her to maneuver than the young girl. As she pushed her way through the sea of consumers bickering over prices of goods, she spotted the girl's brunette hair weaving through the legs of unsuspecting strangers. Soyara turned around and gave Ashla a goofy grin. That's when the first set of stormtroopers lining the rooftops open fire.

     She spun around, searching for the source as mass hysteria ensued. She pinpointed the source almost immediately. A stormtrooper stood amongst a squad of five more troooers with his blaster raised to the sky as he ordered another round of blasting.

    By now, the crowd was thinning out. She desperately looked around for Soyara and found her crouched down, covering her ears, clamping her eyes shut, and crying in the midst of the chaos. Without a second thought, Ashla scooped up the child and ran through the streets to find cover. At one point, the little girl cried out and pointed to a small clay house. "Is that your house?" Ashla asked as she sprinted to it. The little girl nodded, tears still streaming down her face from the market place.

     Once inside, Ashla set Soyara down before barricading the door with the available furniture. The small child walked to the center of the house and let out an bloodcurdling scream. Ashla dropped everything and rushed to the young girl's aid.