~Just Stop~

Sounds angsty but isn't I promise it's very fluffy.

Hajime POV

"I'm useless."

"I'm worthless."

"I don't matter!"

"I'm nothing."

That was all Nagito said, all the time. He was constantly putting himself down, talking bad about himself, and I absolutely hated it. I didn't know why I cared so much, it wasn't like we were friends or anything, but for some reason, every time he said that negative stuff, I got a very strong urge to punch something.

Probably because his constant expressions of self loathing annoyed the hell out of me.

Yep, that is definitely why.

One morning, as I walked up to the restaurant, I saw him and Gundham talking. They were the only two that'd arrived, and it seemed they were engaged in an extremely important conversation.

I couldn't catch all of it, but all I knew was I'd heard him say he was worthless more than a couple of times.

I sighed, walked over to their table, pulled him out of his seat by his hood, and stared at him.

"Stop. Just, stop." His eyes were filled with confusion, and I let him go, rubbing the bridge of my nose.
"Carry on." I waved my hand at them and walked away, leaving two very confused people behind. Unfortunately for me, the target of my affections had decided to follow.

"Hajime..? What was that?" He asked softly.

I turned to face him.

"Nothing, Nagito. Don't read into it." He tilted his head.

"Read into it..? I just wanted to know why you told me to stop." He replied, still staring at me.

"Stop saying all that bad shit about yourself." I spat, before whipping around and storming out of the restaurant, breakfast forgotten.

I didn't see him again until much later. He tried to talk to me, but I nonchalantly sprinted away every time he got too close.

I knew he would ask more questions, and if I was completely honest, I didn't have any more answers.

So I very subtly avoided him.

Until dinner.

I got there late after taking a bomb nap, and the only seat left open was next to him. I flinched, but sat down, and moved my chair as far away from him as I could, which wasn't very far, due to Nekomaru seated on my other side.

"HAJIME! NICE OF YOU TO JOIN US! WHY ARE YOU PUSHING YOUR BONY SHOULDER INTO MY ARM?" I felt my face heat up at his... enthusiasm, and I turned to stare at my food after muttering a quick "sorry".

Conversations buzzed all around the table, filling the room with a sense of normalcy. If that was even possible. The only people that remained silent were me, and Nagito. I was glad he was keeping his mouth shut, because if he said one more bad thing about himself in front of me, I might've smacked him.

"Hi, Hajime." He said softly, almost a whisper. He didn't look up at me, just picked at his food.

"Hey." I replied, averting my gaze from the side of his head to my plate, lest he look up and see me staring.

"How's your day?" He asked, still barely audible.

"It's alright. Yours?"

"Why do you care?" He asked, sounding genuinely confused. I dropped my fork, more like threw it down, I guess, and leaned back in my chair, hands over my eyes.