Chapter 25

(Annabeth- )

.

.

.

Annabeth wasn't able to talk to Percy before Leo fired on New Rome. She hoped that was why he seemed so interested in the topic of Nico di Angelo, and it wasn't that he had any memories.

But it was possible despite the Styx. It was possible without an awakening like Nico had, like a trigger word he had given her in the shape of her baby's name. She had seen and heard stories all over the mortal world. Some people just remembered.

Toddlers talked about history they never should have known. Kids had nightmares about a death they couldn't even have imagined. Hell, mortals had shows about this type of thing. They were aware of the phenomenon, or what some just called coincidences.

So she had to be prepared for it happening to Percy. Had to make sure she didn't slip until she was able to sit him down and talk to him.

So she sat on the grass in New Rome, watched food be eaten all around her without an appetite herself, heard about Nico having a sister for the first time.

"Wait," Annabeth said. "Nico di Angelo is your brother?"

The girl, Hazel, nodded. Judging by the Roman's reactions, this was all normal. Even Percy didn't look surprised, but the topic caused worry lines she didn't even know he had.

"He...what?" Annabeth asked.

"He disappeared," Hazel looked down at her lap. "I'm afraid...I'm not sure, but I think something's happened to him."

"We're going to get him back," Percy assured her. "No matter what anyone says, they need him. He went looking for the Doors, right? Thanatos said we'll find both answers in Rome."

"We'll find him," Annabeth agreed. "I'll find him."

But that was the last she got to say anything about Nico until later that night, since Leo decided to blow up New Rome. Even on her private adventure with Percy against tar monsters she wasn't able to say anything because, well, the tar monsters.

She hated not being able to talk to Percy. She hated keeping this from him. She hated not being able to say "remember when" and talk about a time with no electricity, or the vacations they took to the beach. She hated not remembering everything like Nico did, not yet, and more then anything, she hated not knowing what happened to her kids.

But there was more pressing matters, now. There was the Mark of Athena burning a hole in her pocket and a crew of people she barely knew sitting around the table, and they had to talk shop over dinner. But when that was finally over...

She threw open Percy's door. "Don't you dare fall asleep. We have a lot to talk about."

.

.

.

They sat on the bed with the door closed, Annabeth sitting against the bedframe with Percy's head in her lap. She remembered how he used to do that as Alasdair. She remembered a lot about their time back then and blushed.

"I have a question, but you need to take it seriously," Annabeth began. "No jokes. Promise?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Have you ever...had a memory that wasn't yours?" she asked. "Or one that didn't belong to Percy Jackson specifically?"

Percy frowned. "Huh?"

"Just answer the question."

Percy shrugged. "I guess. But everything's been different since I got my memories back from Hera. Why?"