Chapter 36

Neeks wasn't that surprised that the werewolf got them in the same spot, slicing open both biceps as they shadow traveled away. Most of their scars from the first time were being reopened, after all.

Reyna and Coach Hedge were still looking at them like the first time, eyes on the wounds and the wounds only. Reyna had stitched them, but they still stood out since their jacket had been discarded, too ripped to still use. 

Their pants and shirt weren't in much better condition, nor were any of the team's clothes. So after buying the supplies they needed at the Buford Zippy Mart, Neeks decided to get them all some fresh clothes to wear. They knew it would help themself feel better, and decided it might help Reyna as well. 

That was how Neeks, child of Hades and third-lifer, found themself walking down a deserted North Carolina road in a bright yellow dress that was too loose and too bright. But they could fight in it and it wasn't that horrible shirt they had gotten in San Juan, and that was all that mattered.

They walked back to the campsite down a two-lane road under the blazing sun. This part of South Carolina seemed to consist mostly of overgrown fields, punctuated by telephone poles and trees covered in kudzu vines. The town of Buford itself was a collection of portable metal sheds – six or seven, which was probably also the town’s population.

When they got back to the camp, Reyna was sitting at the entrance of the tent, staring off. She had been different since San Juan, silent unless needed. Neeks remembered how she fared last time and knew it'd help to talk, but having "killed" her father? It seemed so little of a crime, like nothing, like she shouldn't even think twice about it compared to what they had done.

But Reyna didn't know what they did. Nobody could.

"Reyna, come take a walk with me," Neeks instructed. "I need to talk to you."

Reyna stared up at them. "I don't need a pep talk-"

"I don't do pep talks. Now, let's go."

"I get it, you don't wanna walk and you don't wanna talk around me," Coach Hedge huffed. "I'll go write some letters." He took his notepad and headed into the woods, leaving Neeks to sit beside Reyna.

"Tell me about it," Neeks said. "I already know from...before, so just say it."

"You never talk about the before," Reyna commented. "Why?"

"It...wasn't good. Lots of death and pain. Gaea won, so that should speak for itself." Neeks played with the hem of their dress and contemplated asking Coach if he could somehow change the color. "But your past wasn't that. It was something you need to talk about if you're going to stop it from harming you anymore."

She explained, but her voice cut out halfway through. Neeks thought about what they could tell her, what could help her feel not alone. They finally decided on something they hadn't said last time.

"In the Before Times," they started, "us three were attacked by a Roman outcast. Bryce Lawrence."

Reyna looked up at the name.

"He wanted to kill us, or put us on Roman trial or something," Neeks continued. "He was a danger, and I...pulled his soul from his body. Efficiently killed him. My mind wasn't...really there, you could say. I was too focused on keeping you guys safe."