Chapter 32

Nico spent his time in Percy and Annabeth's cabins, and he slept beside a hoodie of Percy's. The scent of the sea kept most of the nightmares away, but nothing could be done about his confusion.

His body never felt normal. He never felt as comfortable in it as others seemed. Even as Jacquotte, it was a little too okay to dress in men's clothing. As Eun was the only time it all ever felt right, but even then, hints of Jacqotte's mind were seeping through. Now he wasn't sure what he expected when he looked down at his chest, or what should be between his legs. He just didn't know. Both options didn't seem quite right.

He didn't know. All he knew was that he was uncomfortable, and being called Neeks eased it a little. And that came out of talking to Piper, so he knew he was going to be talking to her some more.

"A note from Annabeth." Piper shook her head in amazement. "I don't see how that's possible-"

"There's a fallen shrine down there," Nico explained as he sipped his coffee. "Shrines go both ways."

"I can't believe Reyna would try to find us. It's taboo, coming to the ancient lands. She'll be stripped of her praetorship." Fank frowned.

"If she lives," Hazel said. "It was hard enough for us to make it this far with seven demigods and a warship."

"Reyna's strong," Nico affirmed. "One of the strongest demigods I've met."

"She'll make it?" Hazel asked.

"If it's the same as last time."

"Jason?" Leo asked, noticing the son of Jupiter staring off. "Argo II to Jason, come in."

"Yeah, sorry." Jason touched the groove that Sciron the bandit had cut in his hair. "Crossing the Atlantic is a hard journey, no doubt. But I'd never bet against Reyna. If anyone can make it, she will."

"That's what I just said," Nico grumbled.

"Well, I'd love to see Reyna again," Piper said. "But how is she supposed to find us?"

Frank raised his hand. "Can't you just send her an Iris-message?"

"They're not working very well," Coach Hedge put in. "Horrible reception. Every night, I swear, I could kick that rainbow goddess ..." He faltered. His face turned bright red.

"Coach?" Leo grinned. "Who have you been calling every night, you old goat?"

"No one!" Hedge snapped. "Nothing! I just meant –"

"He means we've already tried," Hazel intervened, and the coach gave her a grateful look. "Some magic is interfering ... maybe Gaia. Contacting the Romans is even harder. I think they're shielding themselves."

Frank drummed his fingers on the table. "I don't suppose Reyna has a cell phone ...? Nah. Never mind. She'd probably have bad reception on a pegasus flying over the Atlantic."

"She'll find us," Jason said. "She mentioned something in the dream – she's expecting me to go to a certain place on our way to the House of Hades. I – I'd forgotten about it, actually, but she's right. It's a place I need to visit."

"And where is this place?" Piper asked.

"A ... uh, a town called Split."

"Split."

"Um, yeah. In fact, we should be getting close. Leo?"

Leo punched the intercom button. "How's it going up there, buddy?"

Festus the figurehead creaked and steamed.

"He says maybe ten minutes to the harbor," Leo reported. "Though I still don't get why you want to go to Croatia, especially a town called Split. I mean, you name your city Split, you gotta figure it's a warning to, you know, split. Kind of like naming your city Get Out!"