Chapter 28

(Annabeth- )

.

.

.

Sea monsters weren't the best way to be welcomed into the ocean, but they did stop Piper and Hazel from questioning her about their meeting with Aphrodite. She knew they would have to tell the crew eventually, but not knowing them well didn't help her confidence in the matter.

The attack wasn't anything she would have wished for, however. It left the ship in ruins and some of their team missing, and while Percy searched for them on the ocean floor, she had no choice but to think about the Mark of Athena.

Thankfully, it didn't take him too long to come back, and she was rather able to discuss Nico di Angelo.

"Cursed?" Percy frowned. "Did she say why?"

Annabeth hated the taste the words left in her mouth, but she said them regardless. "She said because she fell for love, and because all the gods wanted her."

"And she didn't want them?"

"Probably not."

"My bet's on fuckboy Zeus."

"Percy!" Annabeth couldn't keep her laughter in despite the lightning that flashed across the clear sky. "You can't say that out loud!"

"But we were both thinking it."

"Yeah, we were."

Percy frowned. "Does Nico remember? If...you know, if Zeus did what he's infamous for."

"I don't think so." Annabeth played with a rip in her jeans. "At least, not yet. But he probably will, eventually. I know he's trying to remember everything like we are."

Percy looked ready to fight the sky, but it wasn't that different than his normal attitude.

"That's not the problem, at least not right now," Annabeth admitted. "What you said at the meeting, and what Aphrodite said in front of Piper and Hazel... They know something's up."

"Should we tell them?"

"I was going to ask you what you think about that."

Percy grabbed her hand. "Whatever you think, Wise Girl. I trust you."

Annabeth smiled despite it all being on her shoulders. She would have to get used to that feeling, after all. "I think we should."

"Okay, then let's do it."

.

.

.

They didn't get to tell them until after she spoke about the Mark of Athena. And by then, the mood was somber.

"We'll deal with that when we get to Rome," Piper suggested. "It's going to work out. Annabeth is going to kick some serious booty, too. You'll see."

"Yeah," Percy said. "I learned a long time ago: Never bet against Annabeth."

The silence after must have been too awkward for him. He cleared his throat, his green eyes moving to Annabeth before the rest of the crew. "And we, uh, we..."

"Have some stuff to tell you," Annabeth finished. "We've been keeping some secrets."

"Does it have to do with Nico?" Jason asked.

"Kind of," she admitted. "But not fully."

"It's a long story," Percy inputted.

"And we...we barely knew some of you, and that's why we haven't said anything," Annabeth continued. "But we're a team, we've been through a lot together. You all deserve to know."