Chapter 12

Nico left camp a day after the battle. The next time he could think of appearing in the demigod world...well, it would be Percy's birthday. So he had months to himself. He couldn't visit Hazel yet, but there was someone he could finally see. So he shadow traveled to the Underworld.

He had on a backpack he had stolen off a corpse he found on the side of the highway, then he had his hoodie and gloves, and his sword hanging from his belt. In the backpack, he had a canteen of nectar, some of his extra knives and weapons, snacks and a couple of water bottles from a gas station, and the Hades figurine he took back from Percy.

When he stepped out of the shadows before his father's throne in the Underworld, everything went silent around him. But his eyes landed on his father's, he saw that he was alive and well, and relief filled his soul.

That's him, he told his souls. That's my father.

Hades stood from his throne, his robes billowing around him, his crown on, his eyes narrowed. Then he gestured for all spirits and ghosts and anything else in the room to leave, and suddenly it was just Nico and Hades.

"Son," Hades greeted. "You've finally come to explain yourself."

Nico nodded and tried not to get emotional. But he couldn't help himself, and before he knew it he was hugging his father, and another tear or two escaped his dead eyes.

"Dad..." Nico whimpered, feeling like a small kid. "Oh, gods, dad..."

Hades was stock still, his body tense, his aura flickering between emotions. "Son...what are you doing?"

Nico detached himself from the god of the Underworld and wiped his eyes. "Sorry, I'm sorry. I've just missed-...it's been so long..."

Hades stared at him.

"Sorry," Nico apologized. "Didn't mean to get so close. I'm sorry. Just forget that it ever happened."

Hades cleared his throat before looking him over. "How old are you?"

"Should have turned eighteen," Nico guessed.

"You didn't bow."

"No, I didn't."

"You have souls attached to you."

"I'm aware."

"You're missing an ear."

Nico raised an eyebrow. "That's what you focus on?"

Hades sighed and grabbed his shoulders, looking him over once more. "You're strong...both your body and your powers. You hold some of my life in your energy. You fought for the gods in your timeline, correct?"

Nico nodded. "Still do."

Hades stared into his eyes before finally letting him go. "Explain what you've been through."

"Dad, fate-"

"Don't give me that bullshit," Hades snapped. "My son is standing in front of me, has obviously been through hell, refuses to bow to me. I want to know what blackened your soul. And yes, I can see it, Nico. I can also see the souls of those your harbor."

"Are you going to force them from me and into the afterlife?" Nico asked.

"I would like to," Hades admitted. "But it's impossible. They're stuck to you for eternity."

Nico let out a breath. "Good."

"Good?" Hades asked. "What do you plan on doing with them, son?"

Nico played with his knife. "I...I protect the souls that I can. Where...where I'm from, they...didn't have anywhere to go. Nowhere safe. Death wasn't safe."