D. Mark Twain

( requested by @miyuboooooo thank you for this lovely—request )

  It was a cold morning, the wintry air rushed through your body coated with many layers of shirts, coats and socks. Pushing through crowds of people in the streets of Tokyo lights surrounding you from every corner, you were rushing to meet with your boyfriend Mark Twain.

Today was like another usual day.

Around early in the mornings typically about six A.M or so you'd go out to buy some of Mark's favorite food. Baked apples.

Today, today was especially special.

Well to you it was, it was your first new years eve with your boyfriend.

Going to that one bakery you had always gone to it seemed to be bustling with people around this time of year, "[L/N]-san over here!" A old sweet voice called out to you, swiftly turning to the side you saw the owner of the bakery.

"Grannie?!" Running up to the old lady you gave her a quick hug, "It's too cold for you out here-" the grannie would click her tongue shoving you the baked apples, "today was a busy day and I know you buy them for that endearing man of yours."

Taking the baked apples you shook it off with a blush and with that you waved off the grannie with a loud thank you as you ran towards the hospital.

It had been a torturous six months of Mark being in the hospital, his fatal wounds caused by the one and only Akutagawa were nothing compared what you consider fatal it was more like death.

His body was nearly split in two with his ribs being severely crushed along with his left leg to be left completely crippled after being twisted so horrendously.

Checking in with the receptionist you had always come to the hospital everyday and usually stayed overnight with your sleeping boyfriend, "Mark I'm back!" You chirped bringing in the bag stuffed with baked apples.

"How are you feeling? Do you need water?" Placing your the bag down to the table next to him you softly brushed his hair aside.

Mark nodded slowly his neck nearly crushed on from  what seemed to be caused by being stepped on more than once, "I-I'm fi-fine...honey" his dry, hoarse voice did not make his words sound very sincere.

Suddenly Mark covered his lips causing a panic to rise within you, "what's wrong Mark?! Do you need the nurse?" Dusting yourself to walk to the door Mark let down his hands.

"I f-fin...ally said honey without s-stuttering..!" Feeling a certain anger arise inside you, you also couldn't help but just laugh at Mark's cheerfulness even when he's in a state like this.

Walking back towards Mark placing yourself on the chair beside the bed Mark laid on you shook your head lightly, "such an idiot! You had me worried there" Mark shrugging tried to lift his arm up before wincing in pain.

Gently placing your hands on his own you could feel his warmth and care, "do...you t-think I'll be a—ble to see the f-fireworks from the window?" Feeling your heart droop you didn't know the answer to that question.

Mark chuckled at your silence, "that's f-fine" you could hear Mark scolding at himself for stuttering, "when do you think I'll be able to hug you again?" You wondered out loud, Mark brushed his fingers over yours.

"S...oon enough!" Trying to yell with damaged vocal cords was not the best choice to make, "if you want it to be soon don't hurt yourself any further!" Placing your hands on your hips as you pouted you missed the old times where you would be able to pinch his soft cheeks.

Mornings were always so calming and soothing, people chattering outside while the birds were chirping not too loudly, and as cars pass by. A wonderful morning for a wonderful day, a new year.

Sitting in silence Mark made the first move to speak up, "I'm a bit tir...ed I-I'm gonna ge-get some res..t!" Slowly nodding without making eye contact with Mark you could feel his soft bandaged fingers play with your hair.

As he stopped you assumed he fell asleep, "the doctor said you only had about six more months until you'd be gone" you quietly spoke, your eyes would already feel like some bees stung them. "I don't believe them though."

"It's just that—your voice. It all sounds so painful, you're just suffering even more because I'm here."

"It's selfish but I really don't want you to go even if it feels like hell in your own body."

"Because,"

"I know you'll get better."

Leisurely setting your head down on the bed you felt a certain happiness run along your body as if it were your lullaby.

Closing your eyes you awaited for nightfall to come.

Pew! Pew pew phwoosh! Bam!

Suddenly jolting up from the loud noise you turned your head to the sound, fixing your eyes on the window you saw large sparks of fireflies. It was all so colorful.

As the lights exploded into different colors sometimes colliding with other colors this year, it had seem to be different.

Each firework that had popped was like remembering how it felt when Mark first confessed to you, perhaps well, it was because he confessed to you on new years.

"Happy one year anniversary Mark! And!"

Turning around to take a glimpse at the clock that silently ticked each second it was 12:07 A.M.

"Happy new years!"

Looking up to face Mark's face it seemed that he was still asleep soundly, peacefully almost. Grumbling to yourself of how much of a heavy sleeper he was you gently shook his right arm.

"Mark wake up! It's New years!"

Nothing but complete stillness hushed the room and as the fireworks began to die down and every other sound came into realization, your eyes widened to the sudden awareness.

The heart monitor went flat as it's familiar sound in the movies whenever someone had lost their life rang into your ears.

Still, you could hear the fireworks explode and people laugh and scream in happiness.

"Mark?"

And then there was silence.

( what a great way to start my new years. )

ゆうにえ
____________________________________

『私は文豪ストレイドッグスやキャラクターを所有していません。』

『ɪ ᴅᴏ ɴᴏᴛ ᴏᴡɴ ʙᴜɴɢᴏᴜ sᴛʀᴀʏ ᴅᴏɢs ᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀs.』

F. = Fluff (Cute/ Heartwarming.)

NSFW. = Not Safe For Work (Sexual/ Smut.)

D. = Dejected (Depressing/ Angsty.)

I. = Irrelevant to the story ( i.e. Update/ Non-BSD characters x Reader.)