Chapter 20

Trigger warning: Mention of sexual assault.

Since you've been gone, I been having withdrawals / You were such a habit to call.
-
Arcadia

First days back always had a way of making you feel like you'd been gone for years.

This was what Noel felt when she arrived at the airport. When she got into that cab and stared at the buildings the entire time. When she got to her apartment and slept the entire time. When she went back to work the next day.

"Well, I just want to thank you so much for taking the time today to call me, I think what you're doing is just life-changing to so many people. Please feel free to reach out to us here at Gratitude anytime," Noel said in a soothing voice before bidding goodbye to her most recent interview with someone who was offering free meditation classes at a school building for senior citizens.

She sighed after hanging up the phone and opening her transcription app to convert her call to text. She let that process while deciding to get up and make herself some lunch.

To her luck, Damien was sitting in the modern break room which was newly refurbished with stainless steel appliances, quartz countertops, white round-top Tulip tables with matching chairs. One of which he was sitting on alongside some other random guy.

He made eye contact with her for a second, standing up, instantly. He had this gleam in his eyes which he seemed to have been fighting as he stared at her. His Adam's apple bobbed after a nervous gulp.

But, instead of chasing after her like he usually did... he turned and walked away.

And Noel couldn't have been more relieved.

Arcadia

She decided she'd get some work done from home since she didn't finish her draft this afternoon like she was supposed to.

Noel knew she wasn't getting paid hourly to do work from home but her determination and overachieving were what got her this staff writer position in the first place. She was getting paid to put this job first, always. She didn't have a degree to fall back on for accreditation and she already wasn't very well-liked by Sarah so being the least respected person in the office was the catch for not being safe and going to college. 

But sometimes her head hurt when Sarah thought it'd be fun to give the 'dumb' girl all the assignments no one else wanted in addition to the projects she was actually passionate about.

She was hopeful that an assistant editor position would at least be considered.

For now, she'd deal with what she had. Or not have.

Speaking of, it was 10 pm. Harry would probably be home.

Arcadia

When she confirmed he wasn't home by way of Reid making one perverted but annoyed look on his face— and promptly verbalizing Harry's absence— she went to the only other place he'd be at this time on a weekday.

The little light in front of the treehouse was on, and she could hear faint music as she climbed up the steps to the small porch where the door was at.