Chapter 9

And as the skies turn gloomy, night winds whisper to me / I'm as lonely as can be

-
Arcadia

It thunder stormed today for the first time in what felt like years. Maybe it was because Manchester couldn't go one week without rain or snow, so the last five days of sunshine felt so surreal it was like a whole summer in Ohio. The elongated duration of the short reality made a truly spectacular end to September.

Even if Noel went two weeks avoiding Harry. It was harder to face him after the whole debacle at Amari's party and usually she would have gotten over her embarrassment like she always did, but that night was different.

He made her feel more useless than she ever did in her life.

Instead, she found herself trying to force an interest in Damien, who was very sweet, despite being rather boring. She thought he'd be much more interesting considering he had a film degree, but he really wasn't doing anything fancy with it besides creating media content for Gratitude. Plus, his favorite movie was the Wizard of Oz which he defended with the most basic argument.

He seemed to have forgotten that she was a film critic.

Despite their boring interactions and his cliche taste in art, she was grateful that she had someone she could introduce to her father, Leo since he swore he'd drag her back to Cleveland if he found out she was as lonely the way he was perceiving her to be.

She didn't know why he was so adamant about getting her to make more friends. She was very social in high school and was even popular, having friends over all the time. Surely, she'd be socially fine in another country, and her choice to keep her circle small shouldn't have been too surprising since she'd matured and changed since then.

"It's so fucking ugly here," Noel's sister, Nayeli, rolled her eyes as the unexpected rain— at least to her family— pelted against her freshly ironed waves. How Nayeli had beautiful looking hair after an 11-hour journey, she did not know.

"Shut it," Leo nudged his daughter while they neared the entrance of a restaurant Noel wanted her family to try.

"You're literally in Europe, stop complaining about everything," Max, one of the twins shook his head before taking his sweater off to toss it over Nayeli's head so she wouldn't be attacked by the droplets in the sky.

"In the part of Europe with the worst weather. Jesus, Noel, why'd you have to live here?" Nayeli shook her head.

"Don't you have a boyfriend to text? Which one is it this month?" Mateo turned around to tease his little sister.