Chapter 14

"Jane Florence, Henry Florence's wife." She held her hand out smugly. A clamor erupted, some disbelieving, some flat out saying that Jane was lying, and some agreeing. Jack rushed down the stairs to check it out.

"Woah!" He yelled. "What's goin' on?"

I hurriedly explained the situation. 

"Hey!" He shouted, getting their attention. "Millie was on their will because Clyde told her what he wanted her to do with the money!"

"What did he want her to do?" The first man from before asked. 

"He didn't want me to tell anyone that didn't need to know." I shook my head. That bit was true; he wasn't at all vocal about his passion for the Newsies. Eventually, the horde left after paying respects. Jack and I had also planned a funeral for Clarise and Clyde. It was to be next Tuesday at the chapel. We'd invite the Newsies and leave it open for others to join. 

The day went slowly, Jack sleeping in my room. Racetrack and Crutchie came by to ask if I knew where he was. They also stayed over, exploring the bookstore.

"So..." Race started, slinking up to the front counter. "This is all yours now?" 

"I guess." I nodded, then stood up to help a customer. 

"Where are Clarise and Clyde?" The customer asked, gripping her young daughter's hand.

"They passed away." I told her sorrowfully.

"Because I know they wouldn't allow in their bookstore so many," she paused looking over at the browsing Racetrack and Crutchie, "street urchins."

"Ma'am, I was a 'street urchin' once upon a time." I told her passive aggressively. "Then my brother was killed from the cruelty of their conditions. Actually, that was during the strike we held because our boss raised the price for papers, papers we could barely afford before."

"That's where I recognized you!" Wonder filled her face. "That boy-- your brother-- I bought papers from him. Christ, you look so much alike!"

By now, Race and Crutchie were watching.

"Well gee, Miss." I don't know why I was getting so sour. "It might, just might be because we were twins and shared the same DNA."

"Okay," she nodded and took her daughter to browse the children's books. The Newsies continued their search and I sat back down at the counter and thought back to when I had to tell Bailey.

It was pouring buckets outside and I was still wearing my Newsie get-up. My old purple flannel, gray skirt, brown vest. I quickly went up the walk to Bailey's house and rapped on the door. Claire answered and ushered me inside.

"Millie!" She scolded. "It's cold, you shouldn't be outside."

I didn't reply, I instead waited for Bailey to come downstairs. She did and noticed my distraught face.

"Wat's wrong?" She asked, looking around. "Where's Elmer?"

Elmer and I had never been apart for more than a day.

"He's dead." I told her mournfully. 

"No," she laughed. "That can't be true." Then turning to her mother, "can it?"

Claire didn't answer and by now I was surrounded by the Robinson family. I had to go in depth.

"We're strikin' against Pulitzer because he raised our prices." I started. "So we had to stop the wagons. When we did, the bulls showed up, and... and Snyder. After the fight, Elmer and I were still outside. I was freaking out because Crutchie was arrested, but Elmer was being suffocated from the inside. Someone hit him and he couldn't breathe. I didn't know what to do. And now he's dead." My voice cracked at the last word.

"This isn't a joke, right?" Bailey asked, tearing up. "Because it's not funny."

"Believe me, I wish this was a joke." I sighed. Bailey turned to her sister, who was staring at me in shock. As were William and Claire. 

I shook my head, trying to shake the memories away. Despite my efforts, I couldn't help but remember me and my brother sitting on a chair at their house, attached at the hip explaining what it's like being a twin.

"Jack?" Race called up. I pointed him to the hidden staircase. 

"Can I talk to you?" Crutchie asked me nervously.

"Sure." I nodded. He led me to the back of the bookstore. Before he did, I called to Jack and Racetrack. "Can someone please stand at the counter?"

Jack sat in my seat just in case a customer came in. Then we went to the back of the store, hidden by the winding bookshelves.

"What's up?" I asked, almost certain nobody could hear when we're over here.

"I'm so sorry about Elmer." He blurted, horror filling his eyes when my face fell. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring it up."

"No, I was just thinking about it." I shook my head reassuringly. "When I told Bailey."

"I completely forgot about Bailey!" He gasped. I smiled. "Remember when her sister tried to hit on me?"

"Yeah." I laughed; the first time I actually laughed since July.

"She ain't my type." He made a face.

"What is your type?" I inquired curiously. His brow furrowed, face growing a little bit red.

"Well for starters, she's too snooty." He smiled. "I want a girl who'll joke with me without making everythin' flirty."

I nodded along.

"I would like to be friends with her." He added. "Y'know, before I start carryin' a torch for her."

"That makes sense." I agreed.

"What's yours?" He asked, trying to steer the mood from my brother's death.

"No no, I wanna hear more." I egged him on, then leaned against a bookshelf, picking at my lips subconsciously.

"Okay, uh, hardworking?" He tried. "Smart, maybe pretty but I don't really care 'bout that, patient."

"Okay, okay..." I nodded.

"Right." He clapped his hands together. "Yours?"

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"That ain't fair!" He gaped. "I just told you mine!"

"Fine!" I grinned. It's been awhile since I've actually joked around. "Um... I'd prefer him not to be overly dominant over me. Someone who's not too serious. That's boring."

"I second that." He nodded, paying close attention.

"I don't want him to be too protective, but I still want him to protect me if that makes sense?" I laughed at my stupidity.

"Can I tell you something?" He asked. I couldn't cut the tension in his voice if I had a knife.

"What's up?" He has my full attention.

"I'm really tired of trying to side-step this." He started, pausing as if the words tasted foul in his mouth. "I think I'm fallin' for you."