Chapter 18: The Years

All the Newsies and I watch intently as the clock upon the wall ticked as slow as it possibly could have gone. It was 11:59 on December 31, 1899. In about twenty seconds it'll be January 1, 1900. A new century. Crutchie was standing beside me, my hand in his. Just as we all yelled 'Happy New Year!', Crutchie turned and landed me a kiss. 

"Happy New Year." He breathed, face inches from mine. 

"Happy New Year." I replied excitedly.

This is when our tradition began, starting off a new year happy.

~December 31, 1900 at 11:59~

This was the year Darcy actually faced his fears and took Winnie out. They've been going strong since February. Crutchie and I since last November. This year I forgot to tell him not to get me anything for Christmas. He sprung for a silver bracelet. Turns out he had heard of mine and Elmer's idea of a savings and was saving all year for it. It was just a small silver chain, but it was more than what I'd ever ask of him. I got him a new cap. It was light gray.

"Happy New Year!" We yelled. Crutchie and I turned at the exact same time and kissed.

"Happy New Year!" I grinned.

"Happy New Year!" The corners of his eyes crinkled with a smile. He smiles so much that it's indented on his face. 

~December 31, 1901 at 11:59~

Winnie and Darcy are still an item, Jack and Katherine as well. Crutchie's foot stopped hurting as much, but it never twisted back to normal. Racetrack was actually becoming more successful in gambling at the horse races. Bailey finally moved on from my brother and started seeing a guy named Patrick. Her sister, Harriet, got married to a man named John. She's pregnant with a little girl.

"Happy New Year!" Crutchie beamed. Before I could respond, his lips were on mine. 

"Happy New Year." I murmured.

"I love you." He breathed. Jack swatted Crutchie's shoulder triumphantly. 

"I love you too." I grinned, enveloping him in a hug. 

~December 31, 1902 at 11:59~

I'm now 18 years old. Jack was hired at The World to illustrate. Race went on to be one of the announcers at the races. Albert sold papers with the Delancey's and Weisel. Finch enlisted in the military. Mush painted backdrops for Medda. Romeo acted in the theater, a desperate attempt to get a girl. Buttons was one of the oldest Newsies. Crutchie started working at Wallop with me. Henry was still a Newsie. JoJo started working at a pet store. I think everyone else was still a Newsie. And I grew up without my little (by about fifteen minutes) brother.

Harriet named her baby Jeanne. Bailey married Patrick. Jack married Katherine. 

"Happy New Year!" I turned, landing Crutchie a kiss.

"Happy New Year!"

~December 31, 1903 at 11:59~

Crutchie is now 20 years old. I met him over ten years ago. I still haven't taken the necklace Clarise left me out of its vault. 

"Happy New Year!" I smiled. This time it was me not awaiting his response. I caught Crutchie off guard this year. He put his hand briefly on the back of my neck.

~December 31, 1904 at 11:58~

The last hour of this year felt just like the last of every year. But eerie somehow. It's a strange feeling. Crutchie was just a little bit jittery. I would believe it if someone told me he was glued to Jack's side; he wouldn't go anywhere Jack wasn't.  The boys still all try to meet here for New Year's. All but Army Man Finch, that is. 

Darcy and Winnie got married this year. I was the maid of honor. And Bailey got pregnant. It's going to be a little boy, she told me that he's going to be named Elmer. I nearly cried when she told me this. She and Patrick both have dark hair. She has brown, he has black. Maybe he'll even look a tiny bit like Elmer. It's more of a hope than a possibility. 

"Ahoy, Emilia!" Jack waved his hand in front of my face. "Twenty seconds to 1905!"

My eyes snapped to the ticking clock. When big hand moved to the 12, I turned to Crutchie. He wasn't there. I looked to Jack, who had his fist up to his mouth in anticipation. I looked down and saw Crutchie on one knee holding a small box. Winnie saw it at the exact same time.

"No way!" She shrieked inwardly, socking me in the arm. I was too immersed to register.

"Emilia." Crutchie started. "Will you marry me?"