Chapter 8

"What do we have here?" A voice from behind us asked. I whipped around, expected my brother. Crutchie hastily took his arm back. It wasn't Elmer, rather a tall man with torn sleeves.

"Can I help you?" I demanded, standing on my knees on the bench. (You know what I mean) Crutchie's face went into a ghastly expression and he stood up with the help of his crutch.

"What do you what?" Crutchie asked sharply, partly in anger and partly in disbelief.

"Charlie!" The man greeted in mock warmth. (His real name was Charles Morris Albert)

"Harvey." Crutchie said coldly. I was staring back and forth between them in confusion.

"Not happy to see me?" He tilted his head, turning to me. "Who's this, Charlie?"

"None of your business." Crutchie replied, an edge I've never heard before in his voice.

"Why're you with Little Crip Charlie?" Harvey asked me scathingly.

"Because I want to be." I responded with a stony expression.

"That ain't a real reason!" Harvey exclaimed, shoving me. I fell off the bench, landing with a thud. Crutchie tried to catch me, holding out his free arm. He did soften it, if it weren't for him my coccyx would have been horribly bruised. When I stood up, Crutchie gently pushed me back with his free hand. "See? He can't even protect you!"

"It's a good thing I don't need him to protect me." I retorted.

"Emilia, if your brother was here he would have tried to get me on the ground." How did he know my name? And Elmer?

"What do you want, Harvey?" Crutchie demanded again.

"What, I can't check up on my baby brother?" Harvey plastered on a hurt expression. I was trying to tone the fear up in my head, hoping Elmer would feel a twinge.

~Elmer's POV~

Bailey and I were strolling through the dark park when I felt a sudden stroke of pain in my back. I grunted.

"What's wrong?" Bailey asked, looking me over.

"Nothing." I shook my head, feeling completely irrational fear course through me. "I think we should go find Millie and Crutchie."

"Okay." She nodded, and we took a route closer to where we had left them. After a few moments of speed walking, I noticed three outlines at the bench close to where we departed.

~Millie's POV~

As Crutchie and Harvey were speaking, I saw the shadows behind the stranger shift. It was Elmer and Bailey.  Elmer quickly and silently went up behind Harvey.

"What's goin' on?" My twin asked loudly. Harvey turned to face him.

"Go!" Crutchie pleaded to me in a whisper when the man's back was turned. I shook my head, yelping as Elmer punched Harvey in the face. Harvey fell against the back of the bench and cradled his bleeding nose. Crutchie and I both took the opportunity and made a start to him. Crutchie got there faster, wrapping his arm threateningly around Harvey's neck. Elmer looked at me and motioned with his head for me to go. Bailey took my arm and hurriedly took me away.

"What happened?" Bailey demanded when we were in out of harm's way. I explained the situation to her. "So that's why he was hurting."

"Maybe." I nodded, glancing back at the situation. Crutchie was slowly constricting Harvey's throat, whispering in his ear. Elmer was standing and watching when finally, Harvey slapped Crutchie's arm. Crutchie released him and Harvey scampered into a nearby building. Bailey and I then ran back to the bench.