Your Life

Nilsa sauntered behind her husband to the board. His arms bulging hypnotically as he typed on his data pad the standings. She had to shake off her tiny trance when he spoke.

"All right, guys, over here." He said facing the transfers. "Listen up." He called quieting them immediately. "Know what this board is?" He asked rhetorically.

"It's your life." She answered walking to the front. "You are graded every day. If you're still in the red by the end of the first stage, you're out." She looked to Eric as he put the standings live.

" She looked to Eric as he put the standings live

————————————————————————-

That night she and Eric had the weekend off so they decided to go out with their friends to the Dauntless club. It was a mix of a seedy bar and daredevils club. The perfect dauntless mix.

"So, I hear the dynamic duo are tearing apart transfers one by one." A deep voice said next to the booth they sat in. Nilsa on Eric lap since they were squeezing 10 into a booth for 6 people. She smiled hearing that voice.

"How's it going, second best?" She asked teasingly. The man's facade broke and he laughed. Pulling a chair from another table and sitting next to them. "Never gonna let that go." Zeke shook his head ruefully. "Never." She agreed. Zeke was the Dauntless born that had placed 2nd to her and they had been great friends since.

They didn't get to see a lot of each other since ranking so high he took the position of a team leader for the scouting and security group. "I hear my brother's hangin in there." He stated more than asked. "Ya, he'll make it. You might beat him in rankings though." She smirked evilly.

Breaking into a small grin when she felt Eric laughing at that. "You know..." she said pretending to ponder over something. "2nd place seems to be the winners to me. I married one and am best friends with another. That's a damn win-win in my book." She laughed as they rolled their eyes and threw back another shot.

"So, you gonna sing for us tonight, songbird?" She had the tables attention now since they had all wanted to ask but only Zeke or Eric wouldn't be busted down if she wasn't in the mood.

She took a deep breath and leaned back. Sucking her teeth she made a decision. "Ya know what? Why the hell not." Patting Eric's arm around her waist she jumped up and ran to the DJ stand.

——————————————————————
Tris POV

She rubbed her collarbone with a smile knowing she had made the right choice no matter the outcome. She would work twice as hard to make sure she stayed in dauntless.

She was one of the first ones out of the tattoo parlor since the rest had bigger pieces being done and decided to quietly walk around the square for a few minutes. She was getting ready to turn around and find her group when she heard it.

She had heard music before but never anything like this. It was full of feeling and depth not just instrumental like the music at home. Her feet carried her to the door of what she assumed was a club of some sort. Peeking in the door she was stunned to see it was none other than Nilsa making the music.

She knew she should run since that meant Eric was close but the song spoke to her and she found herself smiling as she listened.

"Look at me and see a little girl inside my skin
It's a supernatural
Oh, so don't be trying to push up on me baby
My momma told me better than that
The bigger you are
The harder you fall"

Tris was entranced by how free the leader looked in that moment. That's all she had wanted in her life. That freedom of knowing who you are with love and friends.

"I'm about the original
Not typical
Not oh-la-la baby
You can hold me responsible
It's chemical
If you're bringin' it out in me"

"I'm about metaphysical
Not practical
Not planned ahead baby
If you open Pandora's box prepare yourself
'cause the world has been changing"

"Freak of nature, yeah
You better beware, danger
I'm your midnight angel"

"Freaky, geeky, lucky and weekly
Sassafras or honey, drink me
Finger licking, I've been thinking
I'm the bomb, your clock is ticking ya ya ya."

She had finished the song sitting in Eric's lap.

"Haha, yeah, boy fuck." Was the last Tris heard before a hand grabbed her pulling her into the shadows. Luckily, she didn't scream and draw attention to herself. "Are you trying to be factionless before the nights over?!" She heard the pissed off voice of Four demand. "I...I just..." she tried to spit out what had happened but her upbringing tied her tongue.

"It doesn't matter! If Eric or Nilsa had seen you you'd be gone! Get you and the others back to the barracks. Now!" He said before walking back towards control center.

When she got back to the parlor most of the others stood outside. She told them Four knew they were out and they all needed to get back now.