Sharpen Up

Nilsa smiled taking a deep breath and then releasing the knife in a fluid motion of her body. Only a trained eye would have even seen the moment. The initiates only knew she threw it by the sound of it hitting the wooden bulls eye.

She continued walking down the line of initiates as they attempted throwing knifes. Some weren't too bad. Others had yet to even land on the board. Walking to the end she wrapped her arms around Eric's waist as he kept an eagle eye on the hopeful recruits. "Looks like Four's pet finally found something she can do." She said quietly making Eric's lip curl up slightly.

"Come on!" One of the boys said frustrated. The knife was again heard clinking to the ground. "That was pathetic." Eric said with a disgusted scoff. "It slipped." The boy was quick to back talk. Nilsa sucked in a breath and patted Eric's chest knowing his next moves. There was always one each group.

"Well, go get it." Eric said waiting. The boy looked back and forth between the range and Eric. "What, while they're still throwing?" He asked with disbelief. "Are you afraid?" Eric asked brow raised. Nilsa bit her lip to stop her grin. That damn eyebrow.

"Of getting stabbed by an airborne knife? Yeah." Wrong answer kid, was all she could think. Smirking she easily walked onto the throwing range. When she got to the knife she saw they had stopped throwing. She scowled, "Who told you to stop training?" She shouted. A few jumped but went back to throwing. She noted the one who didn't for later.

Walking back to Eric just as easily, never slowing even when a badly thrown knife had to be caught by her. She made a disgusted sound handing the knives to Eric. "Everybody stop." Eric called taking the knives and proudly smiling at her. She simply smirked with a wink. "My wife had to do what I told you to." He started, moving toward the weakling.

"So, now you get to take her place. Train like a real Dauntless." He taunted. Nilsa was in love with an evil genius and she was proud of it. "Stand in front of the target." He ordered the former Erudite. The boy looked at her, getting nothing but a raised brow, before slowly going to stand where he was told.

 The boy looked at her, getting nothing but a raised brow, before slowly going to stand where he was told

"Four, gimme a hand here." Eric decided to add to the fun. "You're gonna stand there while he throws those knives." He said handing the knives over to Four, adding another for a full round of three. "And if we see you flinch..." he said motioning to she and himself. "You're out." He finished happily.

"One thing you will learn here is that orders are not optional." She explained. "Warriors think for themselves, but they always follow their commanders." Eric smiled at her words giving the others chills at the sight of the madman smiling.

"Exactly." He praised. Four sighed but knew there was no choice. This happened in most initiate years. As much as Eric hated to admit it Four was the best as knives, second only to Nilsa. Eric much preferred firearms and hand to hand. Just as Four pulled back to throw someone spoke. "Stop."

Nilsa and Eric had similar looks of surprised anger on their faces. "Anyone can stand in front of a target." Four's pet spoke. "It doesn't prove anything." This girl had a death wish was all Nilsa could think as reasoning. She was proving how non-Dauntless she really was to Eric.

"Then it should be easy for you to take his place." Eric said his voice calm but angry. "Same rules apply." He was sure to clarify. Nilsa was only slightly impressed at the speed the girl switched places. She shook her head at the girls bravery, but lack of self preservation.

Four hesitated but Nilsa was the only one to notice. Like a shot the first knife landed with a loud 'bang'.

 Like a shot the first knife landed with a loud 'bang'

"Oh, come on Four. You can get closer than that." Eric taunted. "Or maybe my wife needs to do this too."

Four knew she wouldn't take it easy on the girl so he threw the next knife quickly.

"Closer, Four." Eric said in bored anger. "You want me to give her a little trim?" Four smarted back. "Yeah, maybe just a little off the top." Eric shot back.

It was better, but not good enough

It was better, but not good enough. Using one of her personal knives Nilsa stepped forward and quicker than the eye could see a knife embedded in the target taking some of the stiff's blood with it.

 Using one of her personal knives Nilsa stepped forward and quicker than the eye could see a knife embedded in the target taking some of the stiff's blood with it

"Now that's more like it." Eric crowed happily, putting an arm around his wife. "Points for bravery, stiff." He started, seeing the girl look at the blood on her fingers from the close shave of her ear. "But not as many as you lost for opening your mouth in a situation that had nothing to do with you." Nilsa finished his thought. Eric nodded in agreement.

"We train soldiers here, not rebels." He said sternly looking at them all. "We're done for the day. Get out." Eric said waving them off. "And bring me my knife." Nilsa told the still unmoved girl.

Taking her knife Nilsa looked at the blood and wiped it on Four's pants keeping eye contact with him. "Watch yourself." She again warned the man.

————————————————————-
Nilsa was walking to dinner with Eric when she got news that made her lose her appetite.

Her mother was in Dauntless.