Never Give Up

Nilsa walked through the initiates that were attempting to fight. Some showed promise if they worked hard enough. She had jumped at the chance to ditch her paperwork for the afternoon to help train.

Four was needed in the control room and he asked her to keep Eric from killing one of them. She made no promises. She was at the other end of the room when she heard a cry to stop called. She couldn't stop the smirk that spread on her black painted lips.

If there was one thing Eric hated more than anything, it was quitters

If there was one thing Eric hated more than anything, it was quitters. As she got close she saw it was the smart mouthed former Candor. Nilsa couldn't say she was shocked. It was usually the cocky ones that dropped first. "I'm done...I'm done." Oh, poor candor, she thought snidely.

"Need a break?" Eric asked in an understanding voice. Nilsa felt chills go up her spine and fought to keep a neutral look on her face. She had heard that tone for years. Anyone else that heard it tended to die in unprovable ways. Like the lost lamb she was though the Candor didn't seem to realize how out of character this was.

"Ok. Let me give ya a hand." Eric said reaching down to help the girl up. Now, any full Dauntless would know that hand was like a snake about to strike. Nilsa noticed even the Stiff seemed to realize what Candor didn't. "Thanks." Was all the girl said getting to her feet.

"Alright, let's everyone take a break!" Eric called through the room. Naturally drifting to his side Nilsa felt his left arm around her waist. She knew what Eric's plan was when as they got the the bridge to The Pit his right arm went around the arms of the Candor.

"You uhh, you feelin' a little better?" He asked the clueless girl. "Ya, I'm fine." Just as they passed onto the bridge over The Chasm he struck fast. Using his weight to knock her over, he grabbed her by the wrist, the only thing keeping her from plummeting to the rocks far below. Nilsa leaned back against the opposite railing and watched the show.

 Nilsa leaned back against the opposite railing and watched the show

"Grab the rail." Eric warned. Giving her a second. "Or don't." He said dropping her wrist. Lucky for the girl she quickly grabbed hold. Eric moved leaning beside her. Nilsa rested her head on his shoulder as they watched the girl struggle. This wasn't the first time Eric had someone over The Chasm.

"You got three options." He said calmly leaning on his arms with his legs crossed. Looking for all the world as if he was relaxing. "Hang there and I'll forget your cowardice." Usually the option they took. "Fall and die...Or give up." Eric explained plainly.

Waiting a heartbeat for the options to sink in he continued. "But if you give up, you're out." He said not without malice. They waited for another 10 seconds while everything was quiet. "Come on, Chris." A voice encouraged the hanging girl. Nilsa looked over raising a brow. "So noble from over there aren't we, Stiff." She asked rhetorically.

At the minute mark Eric reluctantly called it. "Time." He said making no move to help her. The Stiff and another running to help her back on the bridge. "Dauntless never give up." She and Eric said together. A life lesson in their underground world.

"Breaks over." He called as they moved back to the practice room now that his point was made. The initiates almost running back to their places. She and Eric walking slower behind. "You know I always forget how much I love trainer Eric." She said biting her bottom lip.

That damn eyebrow piercing rose in amusement. "Really now?" He asked quietly. At her nod he smirked. "You just like when I hurt people, my little psychopath." He said lovingly. She giggled knowing she couldn't deny that. "Well, let's say if you wanted to lift anyone else by one hand...I volunteer."