22. Curses one shall bear

Third-person POV

Percy felt hopeless looking over Nyx's forces. The sea of monsters seemed endless, the ground covered with a carpet of black fur, sharp claws and scaly skin. Percy could see all kinds of monsters in the large group. He could see Scythian Dracaena, Laistrygonian giants, a few empousa and of course, the hellhounds. This had to be the most amount of monsters Percy had ever seen in one place and it scared him.

Because they were coming for him.

Percy felt people run up next to him as the army in front of him stopped advancing, stopping a few feet away from the magical border. He heard a gasp next to him but he ignored it, opting to look down at the enemy with a bit of fear in his eyes.

'Oh my gods,' Percy heard Thalia mutter next to him 'What-how are we going to-'

'I have no idea.' Percy said in a daze.

Chiron trotted up nervously next to his star student, fingering his bow. Before he could speak, a booming yet somewhat melodic voice rang through both the monster and the demigod ranks.

'Perseus Jackson!' Nyx's voice speaking over the anxious monsters and nervous demigods 'You will die!'

Despite the tense situation, Percy couldn't help but speak back to the primordial goddess.

'Yeah, yeah. Whatever,' Percy said dismissively but on the inside, he was screaming at himself for antagonizing the goddess 'You have no idea how many times I heard that before.'

Everyone stared at Percy in shock as Nyx's face turned red with rage at the blatant disrespect from the demigod.

'You dare?!' Nyx bellowed from her chariot 'You will suffer for embarrassing me and my children in my own house!'

Percy racked his brain to remember the incident in Tartarus and when he did, he frowned.

'We weren't even in your house!' Percy complained. 'We just passed through!'

'Then...you will suffer for trespassing!' Nyx said in a no-nonsense tone 'Die, you miserable tourist!'

At the word 'die', the monsters instantly surged forward. After a few seconds, the front rank of hellhounds hit the magical boundary of Camp Half-Blood like they were running into a giant beach ball. Hundreds of monsters were instantly propelled backwards into their allies, stopping the advance.

Percy breathed a sigh of relief. They were lucky to have the magical border they had, with the Golden Fleece strengthening it and the Athena Parthenos no less. The monsters wouldn't be able to pass into camp.

Percy looked over the frustrated monsters at Nyx, who didn't even look fazed in the slightest. That worried Percy.

Percy looked over his shoulder to see everyone demigod from both camps standing in their positions. A phalanx shield wall in front, their wielders also holding javelins. Close-range fighters were dotted here and there, preparing to charge forward to defend their home. Percy could see people holding swords and shields, daggers and knives, and even some battle-axes. 

Some Hunters and the Apollo kids were either standing behind the phalanx wall or hidden in the surrounding trees. Some of the archers had two or more quivers strapped over their shoulders, giving them both a higher number of arrows and a larger variety of them.

Percy turned back to the halted army to see Nyx smiling evilly.

'You think your pathetic border will be able to stop me?' Nyx cackled 'I am a primordial goddess, you fools. Your weak magic can't stop me.'