10. The truth and a new job

Percy POV

I opened my eyes to find all fourteen Olympians looking at me in shocked silence.

I looked over to my father and soaked in his appearance. I saw Poseidon sitting on his fisherman throne staring at me with wide eyes. When I entered the throne room, I was shocked to find him looking like he did in the Titan war; an old weathered white beard and a slouching form. I could already guess what made him look like that.

After a few moments of deafening silence, the gods erupted into shouts of disbelief and relief. The only exception was Apollo, who was sitting on his throne with a small smile looking at his freaking-out relatives.

Suddenly, Zeus threw his master bolt into the air, making a thunderous boom that shook the throne room.

'Silence!' he thundered.

Before he could continue, Poseidon vanished into a sea breeze and reappeared three feet in front of me in his human form.

My father cupped my face with his hands and before my eyes, his hair turned back to the normal raven-black it was and his form straightened.

'My son.' he whispered, tears forming from his eyes.

I smiled softly at him, 'Hi Dad.'

'My son.' he repeated smiling, his usual smile lines returning to his face.

I looked down in guilt, 'I'm sorry for disappearing on you, Dad. I should have told you where I was.'

'Do not fret, son,' he said, finally letting go of my face and returning back to his throne 'You are here now. That is all that matters.'

Zeus cleared his throat from his throne, 'Not that I am not glad to see you, nephew, but I think the council would like to know where you have been for the past four years.'

My eyes went wide. Zeus, the King of the Gods, had just called me 'nephew'. I didn't know whether to be happy or to get Dionysus to check on his mental health.

'Uh...sure.' I said carefully.

'What happened to your eyes?' Aphrodite blurted out.

I looked over at her. I felt a pang of pain enter my heart when I saw her. Whenever I looked at Aphrodite before I left, I would see Annabeth.

I guess my perfect image of love hadn't changed over the years.

Feeling rather bored, I decided to mess with the gods a bit.

I grinned evilly, 'I am hosting part of Kronos' essence.'

I bit back a laugh when I saw all the Olympians tense, except for Apollo who was busy holding back his own laughter.

Before the gods could pull out their symbols of power and blast me to pieces, I laughed and waved a hand in the air.

'I'm just kidding. You should have seen your faces!' I said between laughter.

The tension in the room visibly deflated as the gods breathed a sigh of relief.

'I have contact lenses on. So people would recognize me.' I said after I calmed down.

The gods nodded at the explanation but I could see my dad looking at me worriedly, 'And your face? Who gave you that scar?'

I winced remembering the cause of that wound. It had been a hard and painful battle.

'A long story we won't need to get into.' I said a little too quickly. Thankfully, nobody caught it.

'And where have you been staying all these years, Perseus?' Zeus asked surprisingly politely.