19. I hate prophecies

Percy POV

The second I heard that there was a new prophecy, I panicked. I didn't know why but I had a bad feeling about this one. And knowing my luck, the Fates would somehow thread my life string around this.

After promising to spar with Artemis at a later time, we filed into the Big House with the head counsellors for a meeting. The head counsellors for the cabins weren't the same people when I was here but they were still people I knew. Cecil had taken the Stoll brother's place as the head counsellor for the Hermes cabin. Clarisse had given her position to Sherman Yang of the Ares cabin. Katie had allowed her sister Miranda Gardiner to lead the Demeter cabin.

The Big House was more or less the same. It still had the same sky-blue exterior with the peeling off paint. On the inside, however, was where it was different.

The living room was the first thing I noticed that had changed, albeit slightly. Chiron or Mr D, or whoever was in charge of dealing with maintenance and replacement of items, had decided to make the living room capable of fitting more campers. There were more couches and even though the place was a bit small, it was still cozy.

When I reached the Rec Room, I was surprised to find that they had removed the ping pong table. 

I liked that table.

It was replaced by a long white meeting table a bit bigger than the ping pong table but it had enough seats for all the head counsellors in camp. Now the Rec Room looked more like a conference room. As the demigods went to their respective seats, I found myself instinctively walk to where the Poseidon seat usually was and sat down in it. When I did, a small smile crept onto my face. It has been a while since I sat on this seat. It reminded me of so many bittersweet memories.

'We came here to discuss a prophecy, right?' Artemis said from the seat that she had conjured up. She looked over to where the young son of Apollo, who was sitting shyly next to a daughter of Athena. My heart clenched painfully when I saw her. 

She looked so much like Annabeth, I had to will myself not to break down in front of everyone.

She explained that she had gone with Brian, the son of Apollo, to Rachael's cave because they had wanted to see her artwork. Both of them seemed to enjoy art and loved Rachael's pieces. She then mentioned how Rachael was in the middle of showing them a canvas painting that she had painted a few years ago when she suddenly dropped it on the ground and went rigid.

'I knew that Rachael hosted the Spirit of Delphi and I knew that she was about to recite a prophecy from the stories I've heard,' Amanda, her name was, said 'That's why I asked Brian to go get you, Chiron. I didn't know what to do so I wrote down the prophecy here.'

Everyone waited anxiously as Amanda reached into her pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper. I didn't know if it was just me but watching her unfold that tiny piece of paper was excruciatingly painful.

Amanda cleared her throat before reciting the prophecy.

'The one that tricked them is their priority,
Making the hero suffer will be their duty.
Curses one shall bear,
The Son of the Sea shall fall into despair.
As old age kills the hero,
The world shall feel great sorrow.'

The words of the prophecy rang in my ears, every single line echoing in my head but there was one part that stood out.

The Son of the Sea shall fall into despair.

The Son of the Sea.

I stared at the piece of paper in Amanda's hand as I tried to gather my thoughts. I felt anger bubbling up inside of me when I finally processed what had just been said. I was a part of another prophecy.