Epilogue

Third-person POV

The sound of chanting filled the air, the Ancient Greek words gave the dark night an even gloomier feel. Fog seemed to cling onto the lone figure in the clearing, yet it also seemed to be repelled by him at the same time. The bugs stopped chirping and the air got colder, a menacing feel could be felt throughout the whole clearing.

Mist seeped out of the ground like it had a mind of their own. The fog gravitated towards each other and formed humanoid shapes, surrounding the still-chanting figure. The smoky figures seemed to look at a pit in front of the only solid person in the clearing. They wanted to bolt towards it but the presence of the man was the only thing stopping them from doing so.

The chanting got louder and the multiple figures in the trees grew restless. The words resonating from the man made them want to hide and yet, they also made the figures want to respond to his every command.

All of a sudden, the chanting stopped, allowing the floating figures some rest. The man raised his hands and took a shaky breath as he tried to keep the figures at bay.

'Percy Jackson, come forth.' a confident voice rang through the clearing.

A spirit floated out of the trees, glowing brighter than all the others. Nico di Angelo watched warily and gripped his Stygian Iron sword harder as the shining white spirit knelt down in front of the pit and took a drink from the dirt-infested Coke. When the figure finally stood, Nico's breath hitched.

'Percy,' Nico breathed 'You're here.'

'You summoned me, did you not?' Percy said chuckling.

The ghostly form of Percy Jackson smiled at his awestruck cousin. Percy looked exactly as he did before his death. His familiar unruly black hair swayed to an imaginary breeze. Despite being deathly pale all over, Nico could still see his usual sea-green eyes, albeit a little faded. His signature smirk plastered his face and his hands shoved deep in his jean pockets as he waited for Nico to say something.

'Percy...' Nico started but the words got stuck in his throat. He had more or less accepted his cousin's death but seeing Percy  in front of him tore everything he had built to the ground. All the days Nico spent trying to get over his death, gone in a few seconds.

'So, why have you broken the rules to speak to me?' Percy asked still smiling 'I don't want you to get in trouble, you know.'

That seemed to snap Nico out of his wayward thoughts. He looked around at the other spirits but to his surprise, they kept their distance. Nico didn't know whether it was because of their fear for him or whether it was because they knew the importance of Percy Jackson's spirit.

'I just-I just wanted to see you,' Nico whispered but in the silent night air, every word was audible 'I-I didn't get to say goodbye.'

Percy looked at his cousin with a sad smile, 'Thanks. So how is everyone? How's...Thalia? And the rest of the Seven? And-'

'Everyone's...fine,' Nico interrupted his friend 'You know, people are still recovering from the battle with Nyx. It's been three months but...we'll be fine.'

'And how are you specifically,' Percy asked softly 'You're not beating yourself up for my death, are you?'

Nico winced and that was all the confirmation Percy needed.

'Nico, you can't blame yourself,' Percy said to Nico, who was looking down 'You can't change Fate. It was the prophecy and you know nobody can defy a prophecy.'

'I know but,' Nico protested 'It-It still doesn't make it any easier.'

'I know, man. I know,' Percy said smiling 'I want you to know that I'm fine with death. I accepted my death and now I need you, and everyone else, to accept it too.'