Chapter 3

Dinner was served and over it, you talked to the colonel about everything, from your his work in the west indies to your writings and your wish to one day become a published author.

Soon dinner was over and you sat back in the sitting room.

"(y/n)" you aunt said. "I think we are in the mood for some music don't you think"

Your uncle agreed and the colonel looked at you.

"Do you agree Colonel?" you aunt asks.

"Well is Ms (y/n) would like to play something I would be more than welcome to hear it."

"It's settled then" your aunt said. "Go fetch your violin (y/n)"

"Oh" you said and you went to your room to get it.

You felt embarrassed when you started to play, feeling your uncle's and aunt's eyes on you. However the colonel looked down at the floor, he seemed to be listening intently to what you were playing. He suddenly looked up into your face and smiled with warmth and happiness.

Your playing came to a halt and your uncle and aunt clapped. The colonel clapped also but kept looking into your eyes. Suddenly he looked away, snapped out of his daze and smiled.

"That was wonderful" he said. "Truly masterful"

"Thank you" you mumbled, putting it down on the table

"Tell me" he said. "What was the piece called?"

"Oh it was a part of Handel's violin sonata in D major" you explained.

"Incredible" murmured

"Tell me colonel do you play?" your uncle asked.

The colonel seemed to snap out of another daze and smiled. "Oh, no" he said. "But I appreciate the masterfulness and practise musicians have to paint with the music."

"You are very poetical" your aunt said sighing.

"I have been named that, yes" he said. He checked his pocket watch and frowned. "I must be heading back." he said. "It's been a pleasure to spend time with you" he looked at you then your uncle and aunt.

"(y/n), you show him to the door" you uncle said.

You nodded and walked with him out into the cold air over to the stables.

"I glad you invited me" he said. "Tonight had been wonderful". He kissed your hand and held it for second.

He got onto his horse and smiled. "Until next time" he said and galloped out.

You watched him go. He was so kind and thoughtfully. Unlike other men, he was not patronising or rude to you. A perfect man you thought and headed back in.

"You enjoy his company don't you" your aunt said.

You shrugged and sat on the sofa.

"The way he looks at you" your aunt said. "It reminds me of the way your uncle looked at me the first time we met."

Your uncle laughed and kissed your aunts cheek.

"I am not sure what you mean" you said embarrassed.

"You soon will" your aunt said and laughed.