Chapter 8

"Tell me" Christopher said. "do you enjoy skating?"

"I do" you said "but if I fall in you had better save me as you did last time"

"I will be always there for you" he said. "You are the most beautiful skater. For the short time, I watched you I knew you were an expert."

You and Christopher sat on a small boat which floated lazily on a lake. It was the same lake as you had fallen into, but it had become summer so there was no ice.

The colonel kissed your head and you carried on leaning into his chest. His legs where spread to allow you to sit between them, your head was just under the colonel's chin and his arms wrapped around you held you to his chest.

"This is perfect" You said dreamily.

"It's is" Christopher whispered.

Silence overtook the both of you as you listened to each other breath and the nature that surrounded you. You were just about to fall asleep in his arms when there was a shout from over the water. "Colonel?" a voice said.

The colonel who was also drifting to sleep into your hair snapped his head up to see a messenger on the bank.

"Love?" he whispered in your ear.

"Mmh?" you ask.

"Love we need to get back to the shore" the colonel said, releasing you from his arms.

You opened your eyes and sighed as Christopher reached for the oars.

"I'll do it" you said. "you rowed us out"

The colonel smiled and watched you lovingly as you, with ease get the boat back to the shore where the boy stood.

"Colonel sir" the boy said. "you are needed in London at the most urgency. Captin Willobond requests it"

Christopher's face fell "Then I must go" he said. He turned to you. "I will escort you home" he said gently. "I must get to London. I will be there for a short time"

You nodded and sighed. "Duty calls eh?" you said, redoing some of the buttons of his waistcoat which had come undone.

"I'm glad you understand" he said and kissed you gently.

Together you rode back and the colonel waved goodbye.

You collapsed on the sofa and sighed.

"he will be back dear," your aunt said.

"Yeah" you mumbled.

"When you're married you can go with him" she said.

You smiled. When you were married. You couldn't wait for him to propose. You had felt a ring box when on the lake together and hoped he would ask soon. But now you just had to wait for him to return.