Chapter 6

You woke, your head ached but you achy better. You were wrapped in blankets on a sofa. The clock said 10 am. You got up from the sofa to almost step on a little labrador who slept soundly.

You yawned. You didn't remember much of the night before, apart from.

The colonel wasn't in the room so you got back under the blankets and settled in again.

About five minutes later the colonel returned and checked on you. He put his hand to your head and check before sitting on a chair near you.

You yawned and got back up again.

"ah (y/n)" he said "I hope you ate feeling better"

"Much" you said grogerly. "Thank you Colonel"

"It is my pleasure (y/n), and please call me Christopher"

"Thank you Christopher" you said again and started to fold the blankets.

"You must be hungry, please leave the blankets" he said.

"Oh okay" you said and followed him out of the room towards the kitchens.

"What would you like to eat?" he asked.

"Anything" you said. "I am famished."

"Cook could you rustle up stew?" he asked.

"Yes sir" the cook said

"Also make some toast and butter"

"Right away sir." he said. "For you as well as the young miss?"

"Just (y/n)" he called to the Cook. "Come" he said, taking your arm. "You must sit down again or you will overexert yourself".

You sat down again, the blankets where you slept. "You gave me quite a scare" Christopher said, taking your hand. "I was quite worried you were to fall ill"

"I'm not sure how to thank you kindness" You said

"Just seeing you well is enough" he said sincerely.

Just as he said that another dog walked in and sat in front of the two of you it coked its head.

"This is Mesmer" he said.

"What a lovely coat" you marvelled. "You must like dogs, you have so many"

"I love them dearly" he said. "They remind me of my childhood"

Mesmer cocked its head again and you reached down to pat him. He immediately licked you hand and waged its tail.

"You have had an effect on him" the Colonel said "as you have an effect on me". Your stopped petting the dog and it trotted away. "when do you wish to get back to your uncle and aunt?" he asked. "I sent a messenger to let them know the situation"

You didn't really want to leave the beautiful house and the calming, loving presence of the colonel however you knew you had to. "After lunch?" you suggest.

"That is a good time" he said.

The toast came in and you munched it, forgetting how hungry you were. You suddenly felt very self-conscious. Your hair must be a mess and so also your face and clothes.

"I'm so sorry colonel" you said. "I am in no fit state to see you."

"How so?" he asked worried.

"I am not presented well"

Christopher smiled slightly. "You look ravishing" he said. "However I can arrange for a bath if you so please"

"If that is alright" you say.

"of course" he said and walked from the room.

Soon you sat in the bath. It was lovely and warm. You washed your hair and body, getting the muck from the pond out. Stepping out you dried yourself off and got changed into your now dried clothes.

Leaving the room you felt fresher and happier. Walking down the corridor you got a bit lost but managed to find your way back to the drawing-room where the colonel sat reading. He put down the book and smiled. " I hope your feeling better" he said.

"Very much so" you said and sat.

"I'm so glad" he said. "I wanted to talk to you about something before you leave" he got up and sits next to you.

"Yes?" you ask.

"Will you allow me" he paused "Will you allow me to court you?"

You stared at him in Suprise and smiled. "Yes of course" you said.

"It's settled" he said. "I will tell the good news to your family when I return you back. I'm so glad you said yes"

You grinned as Christopher took your hand and played with them slightly.

Your uncle and aunt were thrilled at the news and used it as an excuse to have a small party which you went to begrudgingly.