Chapter 1

THE BEGINNING

The world slowly became a harder place to breath as Adolf Hitler seemed to be growing more political powerful by the day, his book only fuelling the fire. Erna Lorenz felt like her life was coming down all together, her brother - a close friend of Adolf told her that he plans to take back the mother land; the end goal was to take the rest of Europe and eventually take the rest of the world. This was enough for Erna to beg her husband to take her daughter, Anneliese, and leave. Anywhere but Germany. To remain away from Europe, if she couldn't escape.

Anneliese would not face the fate the Lorenz women always suffered.

Her Husband, Josef, knew that Erna was unable to leave the country considering who her family was. They rather have her killed off then let her leave Germany. Not only was her family highly influential, but there seemed to be a murderous gene in most of them.

Erna's death would be slow and torturous if he was to leave with Anneliese, the price of leaving. A transaction of a sort, if Erna's family don't get to keep Anneliese, he loses all rights to Erna's heart. She'll just be memories in his mind. So, if the time was to happen - where Erna was to be captured, she pleaded for him to ensure her death was a quick and merciful death.

A compromise was made: Erna would follow her husband and daughter to America, but if they were to be caught or cornered, Erna would sacrifice her life in hopes her husband and daughter could escape. That's what family did; family before all else. Even if it was death.

The two knew the sacrifice of the mission to escape Germany, especially if it was to go wrong. And on a sudden Tuesday night, Josef commands for Anneliese to start packing her bag, only to bring what was necessary; she had to leave her knitting needles and her teddy bear on her bed. A goodbye to the last of her innocence, stripped from her final piece of childhood dreams.

In the dark, her father led her down the street, followed by numerous back streets until they met up with a few more men and woman with their children. Anneliese had no clue what was going on and why her mother and father seemed to be shaking in their shoes. She had no idea of the consequences that would ensue.

Being pushed into a trunk, she quickly remained by her mother's side whilst her father sat at the front of the boot of the trunk. A gun resting against the glass window or the back of the boot, now that was terrifying. And it seemed almost cruel for Anneliese to fall asleep peacefully in her mother's lap.

Well- until she heard glass shattering.

Waking up to the sun piercing through the window, Anneliese hadn't even realise it had switched to daylight, instead she noticed the back window was completely shattered. Hyperventilating, Anneliese looked up to her mother who was staring through the shattered window. Searching in the same direction as her mother, she could see exactly what had caused her mother's mouth to gape.

There was a bunch of men in cars, shooting at them with guns.

"What's going on Mama," Anneliese asked her mother. Erna hushed her, as she asked the others how far out they were from the meeting location. It was an hour away.

It was in her nativity, that Anneliese wasn't aware of the sacrifice her father had committed. Sinning his soul as he fired back at the men with the guns, leaning out of the shattered glass and aiming precisely at the other cars. Anneliese didn't know any better, but Erna did. He wasn't aiming to kill, but to slow down.

Josef Lorenz was not a killer.

And it was that exactly reason which gave them enough time to arrive at the harbour in France. They had made it. Anneliese followed the other children, men, women and her father onto the boat – paid by the money Erna stole from her brother.