Chapter 34

Dragged was a word Anneliese hated. Only three times has she ever been dragged in her life:

1. When she refused to leave the day room when it was far past her bedtime.

2. When her father had to drag her away from her mouth... on an unknown beach in France.

3. Mr Anderson's immaculate attend to degrade her to keep his job.

And yet again, she felt herself being dragged down an unknown corridor. Her wrist tightly held by Howard, who walked at a deadly speed, and Alexander wasn't that far behind him - forcing her to keep up. A feat made impossible by the ridiculous heels and skirt she had chosen to wear. Alas, she really didn't have any option. She was nearly being dragged down a random corridor.

Each step felt like it would be her last. She was certain her heels was about to break as they clashed against the wooden flooring far too loudly. The CLAP of her heels was no where near as loud as the sound of Howard and Alexander's shoes. It was frightening really, to have two of the richest men in her generation nearly running down a corridor... and dragging her along.

The hallway was a blur: women and men in a rich green, bricked walls and wire poking from the ceiling. None of it was comprehendible to Anneliese, as her eyes could not focus for long as the brutal pace was kept. Why they were walking so quickly was an unknown fact to her; how they managed to find a secluded empty was even stranger.

With the door SLAMMING closed, silence pursued. Heaving breathing escalated the silence, though noise wasn't typically described as silence... in this time, this very specific place in time, the breathing seemed to make it all the quieter. It was a heartbeat. The heartbeat.

Tu-tum... tu-tump... tu-tum... tu-tump.

And then footsteps followed. Alexander walked from behind her and towards a corner behind Howard. There was no furniture, no curtains, no paintings. It was, quite literally, an empty room. As her gaze examined the room, she noticed only a few quirks. The floor wasn't wooden, it was cement. There was only one small window at the very top of the brick wall; Anneliese was certain it could only be the size of a small house cat.

The room was empty and now it was filled.

As her gaze continued on its route, they eventually met Howard. Who was still watching her, almost obsessively, like how he watches his machinery. Waiting for a reaction. The man was correct for that.

"What on earth was that?" She asked, nearly whispered.

Neither replied.

Sighing, Anneliese asked again. Raising her voice only slightly; she spoke, "Let me ask again. Why were we nearly running down the corridor?"

That earned a chuckle from Alexander.

"I was just following the boss."

Snapping her gaze at Alexander, he dropped his head automatically. He seemed so causally elegant as he leaned against the wall; both hands in his pocket. Without having to raise her voice above a whisper, Anneliese hissed in his direction. "The day you listen to anyone is the day Howard learns how to answer a damn question."

Her eyes instantly dropped to the light rub from Howard's thumb. She had completely forgotten he was still holding her wrist. Completely, utterly and hopelessly forgotten. As she slowly brought her eyes back to his, she almost felt bad for what she said. That was until she saw the crawling smile across his lips.

"Is my sheer flair for dramatics a good enough answer?"

His tone was teasing. He was baiting her, she knew it. And she was more than willing to fall into that trap.