Chapter 43

Anneliese knew she would be a wife one day. When she was younger, she assumed it would happen much earlier - an arranged marriage to some noble in high society back in Germany. She was trained for the role since she could walk - like most young girls.

Her father had told her that marriage was a sacred act that bound the souls of two together. Hearts that lived for each other. Lungs that pumped to stay side-by-side. Anneliese knew her father was a lover, he always had been.

But her mother brought perspective to it all. After all, marriage was different depending on gender.

Marriage was a transaction, it wasn't really love. Her mother did not sugarcoat it to her when she asked if she would love the man her uncle would ultimately pick. She had shaken her head and that was all she had to say. Being a wife did not guarantee love, but being a wife did mean power if you married the right man.

Yet, her mother was not a murderer - especially not to Anneliese's desires for romance, especially for the love her parents share. She often said that love takes time, that love comes when you need it most, and that love - real love - often doesn't feel like love at all.

This was the hope that Anneliese held onto, if she wanted to recognise it or not. She was more Lorenz than Schmidt, more of a lover than a murderer.

Perhaps this was the route to healing?

Glancing up to study Howard's face, she noticed how his eyes creased whilst he read the morning paper. He probably needed glasses, she thought. Her eyes drifted to his lips, a small dimple appearing as a grin slowly formed. Clearly whatever he was reading had his interest. the newspaper - scanning the words for anything he could exploit. She found peace from watching him.

He lets out a snort as his eyes raised from the paper to meet hers. They were kind, always so kind.

The corner of his lips curved as he raised an eyebrow at her. Before, Anneliese would turn away in fear of turning red. But now? She will keep staring.

She watches his lips as he licked the inside of his teeth before his eyes flicker back down to the paper. His grin permanently stained his face. It was liquid sunshine she decided.

As the car comes to a slow halt, Anneliese felt butterflies churn in her stomach.

It had been three hours since they were officially wed in the White House, and now they were back at the headquarters of Stark Industrials in New York City.

To the world, they were simply engaged - but to each other? They were wife and husband. Bound to each other until death... or a divorce.

The door to the car opened and Howard places the newspaper on the side as he stepped out of the car. He stands for a while, smiling and waving as photographers took the first photos of Howard Stark in America since June 22nd. Then, he turned around and offered his hand to her.

Anneliese's heart swooned as he leaned back inside the car. His mouth was directly above her right ear as he whispered, "Are you ready, wife?"

A small giggle left her lips as she took his hand and stepped out of the car. More flashes followed, but this time Howard did not stop to take more photos. Anneliese was never one for photos, and Howard was more than happy to take the front cover of tomorrow's paper solo.

She walked towards the front entrance of the cement building with her arms linked with Howard's. As she walked past security, she could still remember the days they stopped her and made her take out her staff ID as they stated her full name. Those days no longer existed, nor had they for a while.

But all of it was different now, especially with a diamond ring on her fourth finger. This was the power her mother often whispered about when she braided her hair. That if she was to marry at all - she had to make sure she gained something.