Chapter 16

Waking up alone on the couch could only meant two things: Yesterday was a highly disturbing, and wonderful fever dream, or Howard had left already. The first thought was quickly made wrong as Anneliese admired the bandage around her hand, she was still wearing the same dress from yesterday and her hair was down... made knotted by fingers and pillowcases.

A rush of red flooded Anneliese's gaze. "Oh my," she whispered silently to herself, she had actually kissed him. Nothing innocent, nothing like before. Impulsively, Anneliese buried her face into the pillow, as if that would remove the memory that begged to remain permanent. She could remember it all, the way he tasted on her lips, the sounds he made - she made - in front of far too many cameras. How his fingers trailed her hair, the way he slammed her back into the porch post.

But she remembered the tender kisses behind closed door; gentle kisses, loving kisses, and warm embraces. She knew the two quickly fell asleep, after all the day was a rather big day in the scheme of it all. Yet, she was unsure if Howard was still there. Surely, he would've left during the night?

Groaning, Anneliese got up and slowly made her way to the bathroom and showered. Removing her make-up from the day before, before replacing it again. She was all "dolled up" as her father often said. Next, she slowly wrapped her hair around her fingers, forming a bun her mother had taught her when she was only seven. Anneliese made her way back to the kitchen, waiting for the kettle to finish boiling the water for her tea, when she managed to find enough bravery within her bones to open the curtains.

She was surprised to see no press, but even more so when she noticed Howard's car remained in her driveway. With the whistling of her kettle, Anneliese quickly made herself a cup of tea, carrying it with her as she slowly entered every room, trying to figure out if Howard was still in her house. Upon arriving at her room, Anneliese decided that he must've called his butler to pick him up. Opening her door, just a creek, she entered her bedroom. She hadn't even realised she had been walking silently when she reached her desk, placing her tea on it. She had decided she would work on the organisation of the letters of consideration for the World Exposition of Tomorrow. 

She could hear a soft sound coming from the other side of the room, and that was when she noticed Howard's clothing was wrinkled on her floor. With a deep sigh, Anneliese walked back to the front of her bedroom where her light switch was.

"There better be a good reason why I still see your car in my-", Anneliese flicked the lights on, only to see Howard, sprawled out on her bed, "Is there a reason you're naked in my bed?", she asked cooly.

His chuckle filled the room, but Anneliese was less than pleased. Not only had he decided it was appropriate to leave every item of clothing scattered on the floor of her bedroom, but he was also in her room, absolutely naked. What was even worse, he left her on the couch. Her eyes narrowed on him as he slowly stretched and sat up. And that was when Anneliese realised she was right, she was absolutely and utterly fucked.

Her eyes couldn't stop from zoning in on his bare chest, memorising (unwillingly, of course) every muscle, every scar and every vein. She couldn't even bring herself to be embarrassed as she openly studied him, and it seemed Howard had realised this; an eyebrow quirked. 

"How do you know I'm naked? Had a peak did you-"

"Your clothes is scattered all over my bedroom."

The pin seemed to drop just then. She had a man, naked in her bed. Not only was she not married to this man, but he was her boss. The headlines were already appearing in her mind, 'Anneliese Lorenz: Stark's fling or flunk?'. Shaking her head, removing the imaginary image of the possible newspaper, she slowly made her way back to her desk, her back to him as she started sorting out the letters.