Chapter 42

September 14th 1943

Red, blue, and white banners hung off the fireplace in the sitting office of the president. The first thing Anneliese noticed was the books that stretched from the floor to the ceiling, many misplaced and stacked on top of each other. Some books screamed 'well-read', and others collected dust on the third row.

Anneliese couldn't help but slide her fingers across the wooden rim of the shelving. She has always loved books, paper - anything with written words. She was unsure if that was a trait she adopted from her mother, a lover of books, or a behaviour she stole from her father, he always loved the smell of parchment.

Howard's hand on her back guided her away from the shelves and towards the cream-coloured sofa in the middle of the office. They were the only ones inside. Sitting down on the left-hand side, Howard took the spot next to her. She stared at him and he nodded.

They both knew why they were here and the consequences that follows.

The pressure of everything: war, deportation, ignored passion - all resulted in a diamond that only kept cutting and digging deep. Blood was to be lost. Blood was why they were here. Blood would bind them within the hour.

His hands found hers, and they intertwined their fingers. Together, their hands were heavy and she was glad that they rested on Howard's lap - he was strong enough. He had to be.

The doors to the office opened to the president using a cane, followed by the secretary of state - a grim-looking man that Anneliese had no intention of learning his name, and a few other high officials that she didn't know. Howard raised from his seat within an instant and shook the president's hand.

Then, everyone was seated again.

Howard and Anneliese on one sofa.

The president in the large blue armchair opposite, and the other government officials scattered on the sofas and armchairs to their side. It was a layout that felt like a conversation with friends - but it was nothing of the sort. This was business.

"Mr Stark, what do I owe for the pleasure of your time?" The president asked.

Anneliese kept her eyes on the floor as Howard spoke.

"I want to offer a deal in exchange for Miss Lorenz's deportation case to be revoked."

Silence and Anneliese knew they were all staring at her.

Then the noise began.

"Mr Stark, as it was addressed in the letter-"

"-I have evidence", Howard said, cutting the secretary of state off.

She watched as he placed the documents with her father's name on them on the coffee table between herself and the president. Documents that should protect her, but it also opened by a box of secrets she would rather not have to discuss. The past would not be able to be hidden forever, she knew that. She had just hoped the past would only be disclosed to those she loved, and not a room full of snakes - all aiming to get as much gold in their pockets as fast as possible.

The president leaned over to grab the file and began to read it, and Anneliese glanced to look at the other government officials - all staring at her like a meal. If only they knew the whole story, Anneliese thought, that would be much more exciting.

"Josef Lorenz was a high-level scientist during his time in Germany and was proclaimed in that file as being a revolutionary mind for the German scientific community. He often toured across different universities within Germany and neighbouring countries, with this file being located in Austria during the evacuation of many institutes in 1941."