Bonus chapter: Epilogue

09.01.2017 01:13 am

Caleb had fallen asleep, and Lacey had removed the glass shards as good as she could from the seat and then looked over to Bradley. He seemed incredibly exhausted.

"Let me drive for a bit. You should rest "she told him reassuring.

"No, no, I can keep going", he politely resisted.

"You're fucking tired, and we shouldn't land off road again. Come on, let me drive. Pull over."

"No, I just..."

She could see the fear on his face. She knew it was stupid. They had been driving so long and yet he was afraid Elliot could catch up with them if they even stopped for a moment, but she understood.

"We're so far away, he's not gonna catch up to us, okay? "

"Okay. "

Bradley let her drive and after a few more hours they finally found their way back to the highway. At the next emergency phone, Lacey was driving on the sidewalk, and by now both Baker brothers had fallen asleep. She got out and went towards the phone at the side of the road, and suddenly her cell phone rang. She stopped, pulled it out of her pocket and stared at the display for a moment.

Then she slowly raised the phone to her ear and pressed on the green button.

"Lacey? "

And Lacey sobbed violently when she recognized the voice.

"Mom..."

17.05.2017

Lacey rang the doorbell. The neighborhood she was in, was beautiful. Quiet. Caleb opened the door.

"Hey, Lacey, wow, you look great! "he beamed at her.

"Thanks, I needed some time to find the address and I really needed to get used to the traffic."

"Yeah, I know it's weird, but you get used to it. Come in."

Lacey walked into the apartment. It was big and bright, and Caleb walked down the hall and up the stairs at the end.

"Brad, she's here! "

"I am coming! "it came from upstairs.

A door in the Hallway opened. Caleb and Bradley's mother, Karen, a beautiful red-haired woman, looked at Lacey.

"Hey, Lacey, you want a drink till the boys get here? Come on in, "she waved Lacey to her kitchen.

"Love to, thank you."

Lacey joined Karen in the kitchen and poured her a glass of water.

A lot had changed in the past four months.

Elliot himself was found the same day. According to the police, he had been completely absent-minded at the lake and stared into the void. After Luke and Richard's bodies were found, Elliot was placed in a closed institution, since they realized that he hadn't been in a normal state of mind.

Zack had also been in court and sentenced to five months probation for abandonment. Actually, Lacey had been looking forward to seeing that he finally got punished, but after everything that had happened, she felt nothing.

Actually, all three had hoped that after escaping Elliot, the worst was over, but it wasn't. After Caleb, Brad and Lacey were found, the questions started. Questions from their mothers, questions from the police and later from the judge and the psychologist. It was terrible to have to talk about the events again and again and at night Lacey often couldn't sleep. Caleb and Bradley also suffered from sleep disorders.