Breaking Point

06.01.2017 7:47 pm

It was now pitch black outside, and since they still didn't moved from the spot, Elliot had the car set up for the night. He had it covered with blankets and floor mats from the cold, as best as he could.

He had folded the back seat backwards, so that all four had enough space to sleep. Lacey was in the trunk, her backpack was used as a pillow. The laceration on her head had stopped bleeding and the dizziness and nausea had also subsided. Elliot said that she probably suffered a mild concussion, yet she felt very sleepy.

But her thoughts kept her from sleeping.

All she wanted was to spend a nice relaxing weekend with Zack and reconcile with him. And only 9 hours later everything was screwed up. Mow she had no boyfriend, no hotel and no vacation. Instead, she had walked for three hours through the snow-covered nowhere, had to watch a rabbit get shot and had to spend the night with three complete strangers in the car, because the father was too drunk to drive and the brothers had been fighting during the trip. She could hardly believe that all this had happened to her within a day.

Was her mom already worried? Did Zack tell her the truth? And how would they get home tomorrow?

Her thoughts were interrupted when Elliot got into the car and shut the door.

„It's not great, but it'll help keep the cold out, "he said as he pulled the doormat in front of the window. Bradley, who was back in his hood and shaking lightly from the cold, just nodded.

"We can turn the car on now and then, but we can't keep it running all night, "Elliot explained to the three of them.

Great, Lacey thought sarcastically, she didn't say anything, just tightened her jacket, even in the car it was freezing cold. In Ontario, such temperatures weren't 't unusual.

Caleb seemed to be thinking for a moment before he asked, "How come you left mom? "

Oh great, family talks, just what I need, thought Lacey. Of course, she would have liked to let the three of them have their privacy, but going out now was the last thing she wanted. She had been out for too long to get out of the car now.

"Caleb! "Bradley hissed angrily.

Elliot laughed at that.

"What did she say? "he asked amused.

"That you left... because we were more mature than you, "Caleb answered hesitantly.

Really, why would she think that? Lacey thought sarcastically.

She saw that Elliot seemed surprised for a moment, then he grinned again, but this time it seemed forced.

"Yeah, well ... I mean ... she's not wrong," he admitted.

"You know, back then, I didn't want have kids. I mean, I hadn't really thought about it, you know? "he continued.

"I wasn't more than a couple years older than you guys. And then, you know, Mom got pregnant and she didn't wanted to, you know... So she wanted to keep it, "he said.

Lacey noticed Bradley looking out the window, he looked tense and a little hurt. What would you think if your father indirectly admitted that he didn't want you at the beginning? Maybe Elliot didn't mean it like that, but it sounded a little bit like Bradley was the reason they broke up in the end. Although she was tired, she slipped on the back seat to Bradley and sat next to him, looking at him with a sheepish smile- He was looking down. She briefly touched his shoulder and he nodded slightly, but then slipped away from her touch.

"But now, it's so different ... I mean, I know to you guys, ... It's just, you know, being away from your friends and video games and shit. But to me it's ...it's the best thing in my life. I mean you guys, are the best thing in my life" Elliot said a little sheepishly.