The first attempt

08.01.2017 4:52 pm

"Hello? "

"Hi Zack. Could you give me Lacey, please? "

"Oh..., yeah, that's bad moment now, she's asleep."

"Really? At five in the afternoon? "

"Oh..., uh..., yeah..."

"Zack, where is Lacey? "

"What? I told you, she's asleep."

"Is that so? Then please wake her up and give her to me, I want to talk to her."

"I don't think she..."

"Zack, it's urgent! Please! "

"Susan, it's really not a good time right now, I..."

"What? "

"She...she can't answer the phone right now!"

"She can't answer the phone? Because she's asleep or because she's not with you? "

"Uh...what? What do you mean? "

"I talked to the hotel reception yesterday because Lacey wasn't available and they told me that Lacey didn't check in at all. But strangely enough, you arrived two days ago without her. You said she changed her mind, but then Lacey would have contacted me. And since you lied to me yesterday on the phone, that means something must have happened on the way there. So I ask you again, where is Lacey? "

"Susan, that...ah, fuck..."

"Zack, I'll give you exactly one chance to explain to me where my daughter is and what happened between you two! And I hope there's a damn good explanation, because I'm really this close to call the police! "

"That's not so easy to explain..."

"The try it. Where is Lacey now? "

"I don't know. "

"What do you mean? Zack, what the hell happened? "

"Okay, I'll tell you, but you're not gonna like this..."

08.01.2017 5:41 pm

It was almost pitch black outside when Elliot finally returned, not telling them where he had been, nor why he had shot at Luke. Or if he knew about Richard. No one dared to ask. Bradley stood in front of his father and looked at him.

"I was trying to scare them off! "Elliot said, breathing heavily, as if he was a dog who had protected his sheep herd from wolves.

Great, you shot at a man who tried to help us! You want a fucking medal for it? thought Lacey, who was furious inside.

"Okay? "

"Okay, "Caleb just answered.

"I'm trying to keep you safe, okay? "It should sound reassuring, but it just scared the three of them even more.

They would been safer with anyone but Elliot, who wasn't even safe from himself. He wanted to protect them, but he was the one they needed to be protected from.

"Okay," Caleb replied, hoping Elliot wouldn't freak out.

He was like a powder keg, the slightest movement would blow him up. Elliot went to his younger son and touched his face. Caleb let him, but didn't dare to look at his father. He was so afraid of his own father.

"Just stay here. They're still out there somewhere," Elliot said to his sons.

"I wanna leave, "Lacey said, even though she knew it was unwise to tell Elliot, but she just couldn't take it anymore.