Cold Fall

07.01.2017 1:52 pm

They were finally out of the forest. Before them a seemingly endless surface of untouched snow. Since they had now left the protection of the trees, they now felt both the wind and the snowfall even more. The sky was covered with grey clouds. Due to the hard snowfall and the dark sky you couldn't even see the other side of the lake. Lacey at first thought it was a clearing, but very quickly she realized that it was really a lake. A frozen lake. Even though the snow cover was high, she was a little afraid to cross the lake now. Who knew how deep it was and was the ice layer thick enough to carry all four of them?

Elliot took the first step to the lake, testing whether it was really safe by stomping a few times firmly with his foot on. When nothing happened, he put the second foot on the ice and walked slowly forward.

"Come on," he just said.

"Can't we go around? "Lacey asked a bit nervous.

"That would take too long, "Elliot's only answer was without turning around.

"Just go slowly," Bradley said calming to her, nodding and following the boys on the ice. After a few steps, she found that it was probably harmless, yet the tension in her didn't vanish. She wouldn't be reassured until she was off the lake again.

"Keep an eye out for the cabin, we should be getting close," Elliot ordered while he walks.

"He's been saying that for an hour now," Bradley muttered behind her.

"I am starting to think he just made up the cabin," Lacey muttered back.

Elliot stopped from time to time, looked around on the shore, looked for the cabin, but didn't seem to find it.

"Elliot... ", Lacey finally started.

"I know it's here somewhere. Come on" He just interrupted her harshly.

The three teenagers threw them meaningful looks, and they kept following him, and then Bradley heard something.

It sounded ... like an engine.

"Hey, wait, wait! Wait a minute! Shut up! "he said excitedly and walked a few steps in the direction from which he suspected the noise.

Lacey listened. She heard it too. She followed Bradley and looked at the shore of the lake. But because of the snowfall she couldn't see anything except fir trees.

"What? "Caleb asked impatiently.

"Was that a car? "Lacey asked, surprised.

"Can you not hear that? "Bradley asked as his brother and Elliot joined in.

"Well, what was it? "Caleb asked when he heard it.

"I think it was a car," Lacey said, a little unsure.

"I just...Shouldn't we go and check it out? "Bradley suggested.

He turned to the other three, and Caleb hesitated, and looked insecurely at his father.

"Sounds like a good idea," Lacey agreed.

Elliot listened for a second before he just said, "It's gone, come on."

So he turned around and went on.

"We should go and find them, no? "Bradley said almost desperately.

"Come on! "

But this time Lacey was not satisfied with this reason, she ran in front of him and stood in his way.

" No; Elliot, it's not gone. That could be our rescue. Why are you so stubborn? We've been on the road for hours, haven't eaten and haven't found this stupid cabin! We really should consider alternatives now! So... "