Out of control

08.01.2017 3:02 pm

It was the afternoon when Bradley and Lacey got back to the cabin, they had walked a bit longer. Neither of them wanted to return to the cabin sooner than necessary. To the cabin and to Elliot. On the way they talked about every subject possible. Hobbies, friends, school subjects, teachers. It was nice. Lacey didn't remember the last time, she had so much fun with Zack.

But since they knew that Caleb would be worried at some point, they finally made their way back. When they reached the cabin, Luke came up to them and he looked a little worried.

"Have you seen Richard? He's been gone a long time, "he asked.

They both looked at each other, before they shook their heads.

"No, not since this morning," Lacey answered, confused.

"I didn't see him today at all," Bradley answered.

Luke mumbled in French before he said, "I'm gonna go check on him."

"Okay, if anything happens, we're in the cabin," Lacey answered, and he nodding absently as he walked past them.

Bradley and Lacey looked after him for a moment.

"Do you think everything is all right? "

"I don't know," Lacey replied, even though her gut definitely said "no".

Caleb was meanwhile in the cabin and warmed the stove with some logs.

"There you are. You both were gone a long time", and he grinned cheekily at Bradley, who rolled his eyes.

Lacey raised her eyebrows, when she noticed the looks of the brothers.

"Is there anything I should know? "she asked.

"No, "they both answered at the same time.

Lacey grinned mockingly.

"Right."

Bradley started coughing again, looking pretty tired all of a sudden.

"You okay? "

He nodded, but then sat down by the fire. Lacey bit her lip. Shit, she had completely forgotten the fall into the ice for a moment. Presumably the long walk in the open had been too much, she brought him a blanket and put it on him. He thanked her softly and smiled at her, which she replied, and then she looked around.

"Where is your dad? "

"I don't know, he's been gone all day, "Caleb answered.

Lacey knitted her eyebrows. That didn't sound like the Elliot she had seen the last few days. He had barely let them out of his sight and now he disappeared all day? Something was wrong.

"Was he here while we were gone? "

"No."

"He's okay, right? "Caleb sounded insecure.

Well, "okay" is a question of definition, Lacey thought.

While she was thinking she bit her lip. Luke missed Richard and Elliot had been gone all day? Something was wrong, she felt it.

And then suddenly out of nowhere a shot came from the outside, and all three flinched in shock.

Caleb ran to the door and out.

"Caleb, wait! "Bradley shouted after him, but Caleb didn't wait.

"Caleb, stop! Wait for us! "Lacey also shouted.

She also followed him outside. Hopefully the boy wouldn't accidentally run into the Fireline. Bradley followed her, too, but had to stop at the door when he was shaken by a terrible cough.