10. Liam

Another normal day. Same cat. Same crooked mailbox. Same dog that chased him for three blocks. Liam smiled with contentment. Another normal day. 

Then he saw Annalise.

Annalise, this morning, had on a yellow shirt, blue jeans, sneakers, and a blue baseball cap. For once, she looked somewhat normal. But what surprised him, was the fact that she was standing in the middle of the street, waving him down. "Great."

"Liam! Liaaaaam! I have to tell you something!" Liam dejectedly stopped his bike and listened to what she had to say. 

"I went to the house last night."

"You did what?"

"I went to the house."

"Please tell me you didn't go alone."

"I went alone."

"What is wrong with you!? You should never- I repeat- never go into a spooky, rundown house with a creepy girl in it, by yourself."

"Oh it's not just her. There's a guy there, too. He's helping her look for some messages before the bad guys get them."

Liam dropped his head into his hands. He couldn't believe he was having this conversation. This girl was delusional. 

"I'm going back tonight to help search. Will you come with me?" Well this was certainly unexpected. 

"Let me finish my route. Wait here."

Liam sped off on his bike and continued throwing papers. He really didn't want to get mixed up in this. But he kind of already had when he went inside the house with Annalise yesterday. Also, as much as he didn't want to admit it, the whole thing interested Liam. He had never experienced anything unusual or really exciting before. This could be his chance to get out of his comfort zone. 

But I like my comfort zone.

His thoughts turned to Annalise. Why did she want to go back so badly? Can't she just go and ask one of her friends? 

Then it hit him. Never once, had he ever seen her talking or with anyone other than herself. She was always by herself in the mornings, at the newspaper office, and in town. Annalise had no friends. 

I'm her friend. That's why she asked me. 

Liam began to feel a wave of sympathy for her. He had always had his friends and family with him whenever he needed them. But as far as Liam knew, Annalise didn't even have any family near her. 

For some reason, he felt slightly protective of her. If anything happened to her tonight, it would be on him for not showing up. But that doesn't mean I have to go and make sure she doesn't do anything else stupid.

Liam finished his route and rode back to where Annalise was standing. In the middle of the road. Still. 

"I'll go."