48. The Found Boy

Noah couldn't breathe.

What was he looking at?

Himself.

He must be going crazy.

A side-look at Annalise said differently. She looked just as confused as him. What was going on? Was it a mirror?

Annalise hesitantly stepped closer to Noah 2. Noah watched her hands tremble as she reached for the item. Noah could see the trust on her face crumbling before his eyes.

Noah walked towards the 2nd him and tried to calm down. He had seen weirder things. He had a weird situation. He should know by now that things would only get weirder.

But he was looking at himself.

Noah 2 handed the item over to Annalise and crossed his arms.

"I know what you two must be thinking," Noah 2 started with an emotionless expression. "You think that I betrayed you. You think that I am working for The Collector. You are trying to figure out how I can be here," he pointed at himself and then at Noah, "and there."

Noah nodded. He was so confused.

Annalise just clutched the item closer with wide eyes.

"To answer those questions, no, I am not betraying you. Yes, I am in a way working for The Collector. And so is he." He pointed at Noah again. Noah widened his eyes and took a step back.

"As for how we are both here, there is a logical explanation for it, however I think it best to save it for later. Right now, what is important, is this item and escaping."

Annalise looked back and forth between Noah and the other Noah. Then she realized she didn't know which Noah was which. She panicked.

"I don't know what to do. I don't know who to trust anymore. I'm so sick of this!"

She tightened her hold on the item and began to run back towards her friends.

Noah ran after her.

"Annalise! Wait!"

She ignored him.

My friends.

She reached the spot where they all had been standing previously, but saw that the fight had moved to a different spot. Liam must have knocked out a few of the men with his shovel since at least three of them were lying on the ground. She also saw two men with bloody noses, compliments of Phin, she was sure.

Now, the small battle was taking place under a large shelter that must have been used for shade during construction. Annalise ran towards the action with both the Noahs close behind.

As she surveyed the fight that was happening in front of her, she made the quick decision to hide the item. Annalise looked down at her hands for the first time since laying her eyes on it.

With all the craziness that had happened in the past few minutes, she hadn't taken the time to really look at the item.

All that rested in her hands, was an old, locked wooden box. The real item must be inside. She shoved the box under debris that was piled outside of the shelter. Then, she hurried inside to the action.

She felt Noah's presence behind her.

She spun around to see him holding two large pipes. He handed one to her. Annalise smiled.

They both jumped in.

Just as Annalise held her arms back to prepare for a swing, she witnessed a man punch Liam in the gut and sweep his feet. Liam fell to the ground and gasped for breath.

She ran towards him to help him up before the man could mess with him any more. Just as she reached him, Phin let out a muffled shout.

Everyone turned their heads to watch as Chris and Phin rolled on the ground near a large gaping hole. His hands wrapped around her neck. Her legs nearing the edge.

"Chris – stop!" Phin barely gasped out. Her voice raspy from the lack of air.

Chris widened his eyes when he saw the edge of the large hole. He let go of Phin's neck and grabbed her arm. Just as he began to pull her to the other side, Phin narrowed her eyes and yanked her arm from his grasp.

Chris scrambled to his feet.

Annalise screamed.

Liam reached out towards her hands.

Phin held on to the edge.

And the dirt, gave way.