November 21st - Part 3

DeeDee heard both her phone and computer go off at the same time. She sighed, turned away from the computer and picked up the phone. She decided to see what the girls had to say first.

Phyll: DeeDee. We can just hit the hookah spot tonight. No club.

Bev: Yeah, and you know you love the wings from Hakeem's place. It's a win-win for all of us.

"Ooooh, Hakeem's wings." Her stomach gurgled at the thought. "Ok, maybe not."

DeeDee: Sorry ladies. I have a bottle of wine and a very interesting book calling my name. But you two have fun.

Bev: Fine. Next week, then?

DeeDee: Yes, Bev. Definitely next week, I have no class or work.

Bev: Great.

Phyll: Punk.

DeeDee: Love you both. Night.

Bev: Night.

Phyll: Yeah.

DeeDee slid the phone on the coffee table and picked up the computer. Now, back to her book. She clicked on Erik's email and started to read.

SUBJECT: RE: 'MgYHeArTaNdSOULa'

Ms. DeeDee,

There is no need to pout. I promise you that.

So, you want a career in teaching. You love to see it. I think that is amazing.

It reminds me of the work I started when I first came to the Center. I used to run an afterschool science program for the local kids. With the same goal as you, I wanted more of us in STEM careers, looking out for us.

Reading. I wish I had more time to do it. A good book is always a great escape.

Speaking of which, what are you getting into tonight?

Mister Erik

"My night? Oh, just in front of my computer. Talking to a man, I didn't even know existed until a week ago. Just spilling my guts."

DeeDee never told anyone that her parents met at Southern, but something about Erik made her want to share that with him. Then realization dawned on her. It was another perfect set up for him to talk about his love life and he smoothly dodged it again.

"This damn man." She rolled her eyes and got up to put the rest of the pizza away.

"And of course, he used to work with kids." Like he couldn't be anymore interesting. DeeDee sighed as her smile returned. She grabbed another bottle from the fridge. It was definitely about to be that kind of night.

DeeDee came back to the couch and picked up the notebook. She pulled out the neatly folded note, spread it flat and read it for the umpteenth time.

On paper, he seemed like a dream. Talking to him, even better. There is no way that he was not happily taken by some extremely lucky woman.

DeeDee wondered what it would have been like if she had met him while he was still at Southern. She was on campus back then. A shy and soft-spoken junior who lived in the chemistry labs on campus. And Erik obviously would have been in and out of those same labs, too.

It's funny that they never did meet. "I would have remembered crossing paths with him."

But then again, she didn't meet Dr. O until he was a Grad Assistant for one of her organic chemistry classes. And she never thought, he would be her mentor when she joined the Ph.D program.