December 18th - Part 1

DeeDee checked herself out in the mirror. She had on her favorite pantsuit and decided on a low slicked back chignon for her hair. She ran her hands down the suit jacket one last time and looked at her reflection.

"Today's the day, DeeDee. We have worked so hard to get here and we deserve everything that is coming to our way." She smiled and put her tortoise shell glasses on. "I'm proud of you and everything you will go on to accomplish starting today."

DeeDee heard her phone chime and buzz across her dresser. She walked over and picked it up. It was Phyllis in the group chat.

Phyll: Your presentation is at 4pm, right?

DeeDee: Yes

Phyll: The Engineering building?

DeeDee: Yup

Phyll: What room?

DeeDee: 1759

Phyll: We'll see you there.

DeeDee: Great, see you later.

Bev: We love you, DeeDee.

DeeDee: Love you, too.

DeeDee made her way out to the living room and grabbed her purse and laptop case from next to her desk. She locked up and headed to campus to get settled in for a long day.

---

Erik was cleaning up his desk. He came in early to send out the last of his work emails before he left for a week. He locked up his computer and stood up to leave when T'Challa walked in and stood near his desk.

"Hey Cuz."

"You leave today, right?"

"Yup, my flight leaves in 2 hours."

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm excited to see Dr. Bell. She helped me work through a lot of shit while I was in school."

"That is expected, but you know what I mean."

T'Challa took a seat in front of Erik's desk. He pointed towards the chair across from him. Erik put his briefcase down and took a seat.

"How are you feeling?"

Erik is quiet for a moment, deep in thought. "Ready."

"And you are sure?"

"You and Quis, I swear." He rolled his eyes. "I get it. I messed up before. But at least, she showed her true self before I made a horrible decision."

"Erik, we ask because we care." T'Challa sat forward in the chair, "You were in such a rush to find the one and get married. You never took the time to really get to know her."

"I know, I know."

"You told her exactly what she needed to hear for her to act like the woman for you." He put emphasis on act. "And she tried to trap you. So, yes we want to make sure that you know what the hell you are doing this time around."

"I don't need to be reminded of that fuck up." He sighed, "Besides Quis said she is nothing like her. And I do know that for myself, too."

"Marquis knows her?"

"Yeah, she is one of his doctoral students. Actually, hold on a sec." He pulled out his phone. He went to a text thread, where his previous text was still unread.

Prince Erik: Good morning DeeDee. I hope you have a great day.

Prince Erik: Hey, you never did tell me how your presentation went. Let me know where we are celebrating.