December 19th - Part 1

Saturday morning, DeeDee got up early to prepare for a long day outside in the cool winter air. She stood in front of the mirror smoothing down her gray knitted tunic top over her dark wash jeans. Her loose curls were pulled back into a low ponytail and she had on her favorite fluffy gray beanie. To finish the look, she picked up her gray knee-high boots and walked to the living room.

Last night was interesting. DeeDee sat down and reflected on what happened.

One moment, she was being congratulated for earning her Ph.D. and then she was in the arms of the man she had been dreaming about for the last few weeks. Ditched her girls for a date with said man and spent a wonderful evening with him. He went from just being an idea, to a real person and now -

"I think I'm falling for him." She pulled up her socks and slipped on the boots. "Lies. I fell for him the moment he called me Miss DeeDee." She laughed, "And he is really that way in person, too. Wow."

She took a deep breath, looked at her watch and groaned. It was time to go, if she wanted to be at Dr. O's place on time. DeeDee jumped up and gathered her bag. She made sure to put her camera in it. DeeDee took one last look around and locked up.

---

Erik made it to Marquis' place early. He couldn't wait to see his fam again. The two people who made being away from home for school bearable and made him a part of both of their families back then.

He looked at the big house as he drove up. The last time he was here was for Jasmine's birth and that was almost 5 years ago. His Jazzie Bear, his favorite girl.

Erik laughed, "Ok so, she's not the only one anymore."

He parked and pulled out his bag. He had brought everyone's gift with him instead of sending them out.

"Well, well, well. I always knew Santa was black." A voice called out.

Erik shut the door and looked over to see Marquis and his two godsons approach him.

"Who are these two guys, Quis?"

"Uncle E, don't do that. You know who we are." One of them spoke up.

"Q? Did that big voice come out of you?"

"Yeah. It's me."

Erik looked at the two of them. Two sets of dark brown eyes, light brown fades, freckles and the Oubre smile stared back at him. It looked like Marquis spit them out. He shook his head and smiled. Nearly five years and they looked like they could take him down now.

"Uncle E, think fast." Malcolm yelled.

Erik lowered the bag to the ground right as something flew towards him. He caught the football that Malcolm tossed and tucked it under his arm. He started running around the yard and had both boys on his heels.

"E, over here. I'm open." Marquis called out.

Erik tossed the ball to him, and kept moving so Malcolm wouldn't catch him. Q ran down his father after he caught the ball. The older men kept throwing the ball back and forth, while the younger men tried to intercept the passes.

---

DeeDee arrived to a flurry of activity in the front yard of the Oubre house. She looked out from her front window, and laughed. She watched as the football flew over the twins' heads between Dr. O and Erik. She grinned, of course, he's already here.

She looked past them to the doorway, they had an audience as Serena and Jasmine watched them. She parked next to Erik's rental and grabbed her bag.