[19]

"Wait! She's in their territory," Carlisle stated to his family, who was on the opposite side of the stream separating the wolves' territory from the Cullen's. Victoria looked back at the group of vampires and smirked before running down the wolves' side of the stream.

"She'll get away!" Esme panicked as the Cullen's raced after them. Paul, Embry, and Paige's wolf forms emerged from the woods and began sprinting after the vampire. Even if Paige wasn't a real member of the Uley pack, she still wanted to protect their land.

"No, she won't!" Jasper shouted. The three wolves started catching up to Victoria, and Paige was inches away from biting her arm when the redhead jumped back onto the Cullen's territory, making her stumble.

Jasper skipped a few trees before trying to latch onto the enemy but missed and fell to the ground with a groan. Emmett ran faster than everyone else and was so blinded by determination to finally catch Victoria that when she jumped to the wolves' side, he followed her despite Esme's warning.

He was about to land on the ground when Paige tackled him back, biting his shoulder in the process. He landed in the stream violently. Emmett was furious as he spotted Victoria behind the wolf, who began snarling and pacing back and forth. Paul and Embry soon went to Paige's side, and eventually, the Cullen's retreated.

~:*:~

On Monday the next week, Jake was so furious at the Cullens for attacking his imprint that he brought Paige to school that day and stayed there until Edward and Bella arrived. Once the two wolves spotted the vampire and his mate, they crossed their arms over their chests.

They advanced towards the couple, and Bella greeted them politely. "Charlie said you left town," Jake said, and Bella nodded.

"Yeah. To visit my mom. Why?" The Swan questioned.

Edward laughed, and Paige sniggered at him. "He's checking to see if you're still human," the vampire told her like it was some joke.

Jacob licked his lips, trying not to lose it. "Look, I'm here to warn you. If your kind come on our land or lays a single finger on her again . . . ." the wolf threatened.

"Wait. What?" Bella stepped forward, and the two shifters looked shocked.

"You didn't tell her?" Paige hissed.

"Just leave it alone, Paige," Edward shot back.

"Tell me what?" Bella snapped at her boyfriend.

Edward hesitated. "Emmett and Paige . . . . had a misunderstanding. It's nothing to worry about," he finally explained, and Bella's eyes widened, looking over at her sister.

"Listen to you. Did you lie to get her out of town, too? Is that why you asked Paige? So it would look like a little family bonding weekend," Jacob interrogated harshly, and Edward walked towards the two quickly.

"You should just leave. Now," he spat at Paige's imprint, making her clench her jaw.

"She has a right to know. She is the one the redhead wants," Jake growled.

"Victoria?!" Bella screeched, and Edward closed his eyes, resisting the temptation to snap the werewolf's neck. "Alice's vision," the brunette added.

"I was trying to protect you," Edward defended himself.

"By lying to me. Okay, we're gonna talk about this, but . . . . you," Bella said, turning to Jacob, who looked at her. "Why haven't you called me back?"

Jacob narrowed his eyes at her, then answered with, "I had nothing to say." The two imprints began walking back to Jake's motorcycle so they could leave; Paige didn't feel like going to school after this weekend and the fight.

"Well, I have tons. Hold on," Bella started, but Edward held her back. Jake mounted onto his bike, and Paige sat behind him. Bella then walked over to the pair and looked at Jacob, asking if she could ride along. Paige huffed, knowing the bike wouldn't fit three people. She got off, and Jake frowned at her as Bella got on.

"You're picking me up after lunch now," the Claymore ordered, and Jake nodded. She kissed his cheek, making Bella quirk up an eyebrow, but the blonde ignored her sister and walked inside as she heard the rumbling sound of Jake's bike fade into silence.