[26]

Mariano Di Vaio as Chayton Claymore (1988)

Lorena Rae as Maria Miller

~:*:~

*Seattle, Washington; 1988*

"Guys, shut up!" Chayton whined to Mika and Kaimbe, who were too busy laughing to hear him. "It's not like that! I swear! We're just friends!"

"Sure! Cause friends get each other pregnant!" Kaimbe howled with laughter, and Chayton shoved the 21-year-old roughly.

"I gotta admit, Chay, you really got a thing for the ladies," Mika cut in, which only caused the two wolves to laugh louder.

"Fine! So we dated for like . . . . I don't know, a year-"

"While she was still married," Kaimbe added, and Chayton groaned.

"I didn't know, okay?! It's her fault that she didn't tell me!" the Claymore growled. "And besides, it's not like I have to care for the kid. I'm 23-years-old damnit! I'm not settling down just for a girl I knocked up!"

Both friends let out an astonished exhale and held in a chuckle. "He's finally snapped," Mika whispered in Kaimbe's ear, knowing Chayton could hear. 

"I did finally snap. Your neck if you don't shut up!" the shifter barked and put Mika in a headlock.

"Tap out?" Kaimbe asked from afar as the two guys wrestled on the ground.

"Hell no!" They shouted in unison, and the youngest friend shook his head at the immaturity.

"Give up, old man! I'm like ten years younger than you!" Chayton hissed to Mika, who was struggling.

"Just because I'm older doesn't make me weaker. If anything, it makes me stronger," Mika stated and flipped them around, throwing Chayton onto the ground. The brunette groaned, and the 29-year-old chuckled darkly. He kneeled to Chayton's level and patted his cheek. "Try 6 years older next time."

Chayton scoffed and flopped back onto the cold wood floor of the boy's apartment in Seattle. His pants settled quickly, and with Kaimbe and Mika standing above him with sneers, he tugged them both down with him. Their heads slammed onto the ground, and they grunted in pain.

"Will you shut it up there!" a shrill voice came from under them as a loud thump rang from the floor. The three best friends chuckled and were quiet for the rest of the night.

~:*:~

*Polson, Montana; 1999*

"Hey, dad?" Paige whispered from her spot on the armchair in the living room.

"Yes, Eva?" Chayton muttered, looking up from making the two of them dinner.

"Why . . . . why did mom leave?" Chayton glanced at his 11-year-old daughter and sighed.

"I don't know, Eva. Why do you ask?" the werewolf asked. Paige gulped and fiddled with her fingers.

"Just wondering . . . ." she drawled and looked out the window to see Mika and Kaimbe emerge from the woods, having just finished patrol. The chief gazed at his daughter before focusing back on the dinner.

"Paige!" a high-pitched voice screamed from Paige's bedroom.

"Go check on here," Chayton ordered, and Paige held in a groan as she trudged to her room. She flung the door open and glared at the sniggering 16-year-old lying on her bed.

"What, Maria?" Paige grumbled, and Maria smirked at the young girl.

"Can you fetch me a water?" the tan girl pouted her bottom lip, knowing Chayton could hear their conversation. Paige bit her lip to contain herself and stomped back to the kitchen to get a water bottle.

"Mika will be here any minute now to pick her up, so suck it up. I couldn't refuse to take care of my best friend's "sick" daughter, Eva," Chayton told her, and Paige sighed before heading back to her room, chucking the bottle of water at Maria.

"Hey, guys," Chayton greeted his best friends as they walked in; Kaimbe threw his coat on the couch and plopped down in Paige's spot in the armchair. Paige walked out along with Maria and smiled when she saw Mika and Kaimbe. Maria walked over to her father, who kissed her cheek and gestured her outside.

"Thanks, Chay. You going on patrol tomorrow?" Mika questioned, and Chayton nodded.

"Kaimbe, can you-" 

"Yeah, yeah," Kaimbe cut his friend off, and Chayton gave him a warm smile. Paige sat next to the armchair on the couch as Chayton discussed pack related stuff with Mika. Kaimbe wasn't much with planning, so he stayed out of it even if he was the Beta.

"So what are we going to do tomorrow, Kaimbe?" Paige asked the wolf, who shrugged and grabbed a random book from the coffee table. 

He glossed over it, but Paige tapped his shoulder, and he looked at her, his teeth grit together. "Yes?" he plastered a smile on his face.

"Can we go fishing tomorrow? Dad and I were planning to-"

"Well, then you can go fishing with him," the Beta interrupted making Paige fall silent.

Kaimbe huffed and sat up from the armchair and patted Chayton's shoulder, he said a quick goodbye before heading out with Mika and Maria.

"Dinners ready," Chayton announced rather quiet and Paige nodded. Chayton set down a bowl of beef stew and grinned down at his daughter.

"Where's your food, dad?" Paige inquired and looked around the small kitchen.

"I'm not hungry," that's all Chayton said before kissing Paige's head and walking to his room. Paige furrowed her eyebrows together but shrugged it off and sat down at the dining table. She ate by herself that night.