[23]

Paige woke up that night through an ear-piercing scream. The door barged open to reveal Jake and Charlie, both with messy hair and worried faces. When Charlie finally returned from Harry's that night, Jake insisted that he stay there, and Charlie compromised by making him sleep on the couch. The two males walked over to the shaking girl and slowly sat down beside her.

"Want to tell us about it?" Jacob asked, and Charlie rubbed his daughter's back. Charlie wasn't much of a talker; everyone knew that, so he just stayed quiet. Paige sniffed and brought her knees to her chest.

"Just reliving something," the girl answered vaguely, and Jake glanced at his imprints father. Charlie lifted his shoulders with a puzzled look.

"What was it?" Jacob continued, and Paige looked over to Charlie and then to Jake.

"Something that happened back home," the werewolf whispered. The two knew Paige didn't want to talk anymore, so they nodded and got up. They were about to walk out when Jacob stopped Charlie.

"Hey," - Charlie looked back at the shifter - "can I . . . ."

Charlie sighed. "Fine, but no . . . . ya know," he muttered awkwardly.

"Yeah, yeah, of course not. Thanks, Charlie," Charlie patted Jake's shoulder before giving him a warning look and closing the door, making sure to leave it open slightly.

Jake huffed and walked towards his imprint, who had her head down, tears spilling down into her lap. He pulled her into his chest as he sat behind her. That's when she burst into tears. Paige wanted to remain strong, but how could she? Her father was dead.

"Can you please tell me? I hate seeing you like this," the Black purred into her ear.

Paige gulped a lump in her throat and mumbled, "it was about my father." Jake tensed. He never dared asked about what happened to bring her to Forks; Bella lied by saying Paige wanted to see her. Jake knew that wasn't true because why would Paige care about her half-sister she's never met?

But Jacob had to say something. Ask her something. "Why did you come to Forks, Paige?" he inquired after much silence. This time Paige froze, which caused a rush of panic to run through Jake.

"I- . . . . I can't tell you. I'm sorry," she whimpered.

"Does it have something to do with your father?" with his words, Jacob pulled Paige slightly closer, afraid that his question would hurt her.

"Kind of . . . . kind of not," the Claymore replied. "Before my father died, I made an arrangement with the Beta of our tribe's pack. And after my father died and the Beta became Alpha, he ordered me to fulfill the order," she finished, and Jake frowned; she sounded so sad and betrayed.

"But you weren't even phased yet," Jake stated.

"I know, but I thought my decision would make my father happy. Plus, I had nothing back home. Besides my tribe but I didn't see the point anymore. Once my father died, the Beta became chief too since I was too young, and a lot of my friends left Montana soon after. The Millers being some of them. But most of them already lived here in Forks, the blonde explained. Only Mr. Miller stayed to be with the tribe, and Maria being Maria stayed with him."

"Wait, Ryland had another sister?" Jake cut in, and Paige nodded.

"The night my father died, she was kidnapped and later found in the woods . . . . dead," Paige choked out, and Jacob raised his eyebrows, turning her around so she was facing him.

"Do you know how the two died?" Jake's interest in his imprint's backstory was quickly growing inside him.

"When they found Maria, they saw bite marks on her neck. She was completely drained of blood," Paige answered.

"So a vampire killed her?" Paige nodded.

"And my father . . . ." the shifter licked her lips and stuttered.

"Hey, you don't have to tell me," Jake said and placed a comforting hand on her knee.

"No, no, it's fine," she rushed out. "That night, I heard struggling coming from his bedroom and went inside to see what was wrong. And all I could see was ginger hair and white skin. And then," - Paige snapped her fingers - "his neck was snapped."

Jake gulped; he couldn't imagine losing his dad like that. And having seen it too. "I'm sorry-"

Paige scoffed. "I got enough of those. I don't need more pity," she snapped.

"But only a day after he died, the Beta became Alpha and chief. He gave out orders to everyone, some not even shifters. His current wife tried to stand up to his foul actions, and she ended up dead in seconds. Rumors went around that the Beta was behind my father's death, and people asked him about it," Paige couldn't hold back her next grimace. "And he confessed to it. He told everyone that he made a deal with a vampire that if she killed my father that he would give her a meal."

"Maria," Jake whispered, trying to put every piece of the puzzle together. "Do you know who the vampire was?"

"My father allied with the Cullens. He often contacted Carlisle to keep in touch because they were good friends. The Beta learned of this and told the vampire that there was a reason she would get pleasure out of killing him. She wanted revenge on the Cullens more than anyone," Paige clarified, and Jacob's eyes widened.

"Victoria killed your father?" He exhaled, Paige frowned.

"The Beta then ordered me here, giving me excuses like Bella and her depression and the Millers. He sent me here so I could phase. That's the only reason I'm here," the girl added.

"But you're phased already . . . ."

"That means that he'll get impatient soon and come get me," Paige finished for him. The werewolf's heart shattered. He couldn't lose her. He just couldn't. He wouldn't.

"Then why are you still here if he wanted you back right away? I mean, based on how you described this guy, he doesn't seem like the kind of person who would just let this go!-" Jacob panicked, and Paige shushed him gently. She placed her hands on the sides of his face and smiled softly.

"I stayed because of you, Jake. You, and Bella, and Charlie, and the Millers, even the Uley pack. You guys are my new family," Jacob's lips perked up slightly, and he brought their foreheads together.

"I'm not going to let him take you," the Black claimed.

"I know. But you have to be ready for when he comes. Because Kaimbe's coming, and he doesn't leave without a fight."