[29]

The next morning Paige joined the rest of the Uley pack to train with the Cullens. Despite how much she disliked the coven of vampires, she had to protect her sister, and if watching a ton of her worst enemies throw each other around was the way to do so, she would participate. They went in their wolf forms to be cautious, which showed a clear message. They may have an alliance, but that never meant they would like each other.

When they arrived at the place in the woods that the Cullens had told them to go, they growled. "They don't trust us enough to be in their human form," Edward announced after searching Sam's mind.

"They came. That's what matters," Carlisle soothed an anxious-looking Bella. She had never seen her sister in her wolf form, and by the female like features, she could narrow two wolves down that could be Paige. "Will you translate?" the eldest vampire asked Edward, who agreed.

Jake walked closer than any other wolves to near Bella on the sidelines. He was expecting Paige to follow him, but she never moved from her spot next to Paul and Seth.

"Welcome. Jasper has experience with newborns. He'll teach us how to defeat them,"  Carlisle was the first to speak up.

"They want to know how the newborns differ from us," Edward declared.

"They're a great deal stronger than us because their own human blood lingers in their tissues. Our kind is never more physically powerful than in our first several months of this life," Carlisle finished and gestured to Jasper to carry on.

"Carlisle's right. That's why they are created. A newborn army doesn't need thousands like a human army, but no human army could stand against them," Jasper continued, his face twisted into a small scowl. "Now, the two most important things to remember are, first, never let them get their arms around you. They'll crush you instantly. And second, never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that, and you will lose," the blonde hissed out, and Paige let out a nasty snarl.

"Emmett," Jasper said and strutted into the open area with Emmett going to the opposite of him. "Don't hold back."

"Not in my nature," Emmett smirked. He raced forward and tackled Jasper. It was a few seconds before a loud thunderous thump rang around the woods. Emmett grunted on the ground with Jasper standing above him.

"Never lose focus."

The pack studied another three partners that included Carlisle and Edward, Jasper and Rosalie, and Jasper with Alice. Paige ground her sharp teeth together when Jake walked closer to Bella, so she was leaning against his side.

She knew she shouldn't be jealous, but she hated Bella being so close to her imprint. Her jaw was locked so tight and her glare so filled with rage that Seth's whole right side of his body nudged her. The unexpected force caused the white wolf to stumble and sneer at Seth.

Paige then saw Bella scratching Jacob's head with him groaning in sensation. Once the Claymore caught a glimpse of the Cullens finishing up, she stomped back into the woods with Sam growling at her to obey. But he wasn't her Alpha, so why should she listen to him? Kaimbe was her Alpha. That was the only person she had to listen to no matter what. So Sam shouldn't have the audacity to order her around.

~:*:~

The day before the battle, Paige had remained in her room, making calls to her friends in Montana and drowning in her sudden roar of anger. Her jealousy had grown when Jasper found out that if Jake would carry Bella away from the battlefield, no vampires could catch her scent. So Jacob had to carry Bella into the woods while Jasper tried to locate them. God, it just made her want to punch the wall when thinking about it.

She had called Ryland, Chloe, Dakoda, Shawne, and a few others that Kaimbe might not notice is gone. Even if Dakoda was third in command to the Anderson pack, he wasn't important to Kaimbe like Mika was. In total, she had a group of 7 new werewolves to fight.

Right now, Paige was trying to focus on something to do without breaking something but was not succeeding, so she stormed downstairs. She saw Bella and Charlie in the kitchen making lunch with small talk.

"Hey. You two want a sandwich?" Charlie asked.

"No, I'm good," both girls stated in sync. Paige grabbed a water bottle, which seemed to be the only thing she was putting into her body, and sat at the small table.

"Well, the sister, I like," Charlie muttered with a soft smile.

"Alice. Yeah, she's great," Bella glowed, and Paige held in a scoff by sipping her water. "Hey, Dad, I was wondering. Why didn't you get remarried? After Mom," Bella questioned, and Paige raised her eyebrows from the sudden change of subject.

Charlie looked baffled but replied anyway, "I don't know. I guess I still haven't found the right gal. Why?"

"I don't know. I thought you just maybe gave up on the whole institution of it, of marriage. But do you think there's any value?" Bella continued her awkward interrogation.

"Yeah. Yeah, marriage has value," Charlie sighed, then caught on and added, "When you're older. Much older. Like your mother. Seemed to work out fine for her the second time around, later in life."

"Yeah, I guess," now Paige was intrigued at the mention of her mother.

"I mean, you definitely don't wanna have to get married because you weren't . . . . careful," Charlie mumbled as quietly as he could to hide his embarrassment. Paige chuckled at how confused Bella looked.

"What?"

"Look, you know what I'm talking about. There's things you need to think about if you're gonna be physically intimate," Charlie choked out. Paige spat out her water and burst out laughing.

"Okay. Don't have "the talk" with me, please," Bella rushed away, trying to hold in a giggle.

"Well, it's just as embarrassing for me as it is for you," Charlie held up his hands in defense, and Paige hit her head on the table where her water was spilled.

"I doubt that. And don't bother, 'cause Mom beat you to it like 10 years ago," Bella claimed.

"Well, you didn't have a boyfriend 10 years ago," Charlie defended.

"I'm sure things work the same way," Bella stumbled over her words, and Paige lifted her head to start her laughs again.

"All right, so . . . . you guys are taking precautions and . . . ."  the Swan trailed off.

"Okay, Dad, please just don't worry about that. Edward is old school," Bella said, making Paige laugh harder.

"Old school. Great. What's that? Like, code for something?" 

"Oh, my god. Dad. I'm a virgin," Bella exclaimed with a thumbs up. By now, Paige was clutching her stomach with tears in her eyes from her amusement.

"Okay! Good. Glad we covered that," Charlie squealed.

"Me too!" Bella called to him and ran up the stairs. 

Charlie began his sandwich again when he muttered, "virgin. I'm liking Edward a little bit more now."

He then glanced at Paige who's bottom lip was between her teeth to hold back another giggle. "What about you?"

"Me and Jake are old school too," the wolf mocked, and Charlie rolled his eyes playfully.

"He still can't sleep over unless it's life and death, remember that," he warned, and Paige nodded with a small chuckle escaping her lips as Charlie walked out of the kitchen to the living room.

"So worth coming downstairs."