Chapter 18 - To Prove Them Wrong

After spending another week working from home, Anika was extremely bored and sick of her own home. With Sahil at school whilst she worked, she managed to get a lot done despite Shivaay continually telling her to take it easy. He visited them every morning to make sure they were fine, and again in the evening as he dropped Sahil back home from his school.

Gauri and Om were only coming back from their honeymoon next week and Anika couldn't wait to see her sister after so long. They spoke every day on the phone and Gauri sent pictures each time they visited a new place.

Anika climbed out of her bed as she couldn't bear spending another day at home. Looking at the office timetable she saw a meeting scheduled for the afternoon; a perfect chance to go to work. She didn't pay attention to any details, just collected her things together and headed towards the shower to freshen up. She was ready in only 20 minutes and rushed out of the door after grabbing something small to eat. 

When she reached the building, she crept up to her room and luckily didn't bang into anyone on the way, especially Shivaay. Eagerly, she opened the computer on her desk and smiled. It had been a while since she was in her office and she couldn't wait any longer to start her work. Weird right? I mean there aren't many people who are so eager to do work, take our beloved Rudra for example.

Anika: Only one meeting today, not the best but it is something

Her happiness vanished when she saw the name on the file, Vikram Rathore. Otherwise known as her ex-boss, this man was not someone Anika wanted to confront. The experience she had working under him wasn't pleasant at all, practically one of the worst things she's been through. He was one of those people with a cheap mindset in whose presence she felt so uncomfortable. Now all she wanted to do was run back to her home, but somehow she didn't let herself. Her hand reached out to the keyboard and opened the presentation for the meeting. She completed it to the highest standard before sending the file to Shivaay's account. 

After looking through and reviewing a few more files, she decided to take a stroll around the building. She picked up her handbag from the floor and flung it around her shoulder before leaving her office. It was much better than the confined room she was working in for the past week.

After a while, she bumped into a figure and stumbled a little. She immediately turned to apologise to whoever it was but the words didn't come out of her mouth once she saw the face. 

Vikram: What are the chances that I find Miss Anika Trivedi here?

He was a little astonished seeing her in this office, but then remembering the news of her sister and Shivaay's brother tying the knot, it didn't come as that much of a surprise.

Anika: Main yaha kaam karti

Vikram: Mr Shivaay Singh Oberoi ke saath, interesting

Anika rolled his eyes on his words as she knew well and truly what he meant

Anika: Tameez rakho Mr Rathore

Vikram: Tameez? Yeh tum bolri ho? Come on Anika, hum jaante ho ki tum kis type ki ladki ho...

As he spoke his venomous words, his hand casually slipped up her arm, but she was quick to shake it off.

Anika: That's enough Mr Rathore

And with that, she rushed off to the closest room she could find. Shivaay noticed her run away from there. By that time, Vikram was long gone as the meeting was done. He followed her and peered into the storeroom through the small window to check if she was okay.

On the other side of the door, Anika was becoming panicked as she took a seat on the small stool beside her. Without thinking, her hand rummaged through her handbag and pulled out a bottle of medicines. She unscrewed the lid and took a few pills in her hand. As she was raising her hand to her mouth, Anika suddenly stopped when she realised what exactly it was that she was about to do. Her hand tightened with the pills in it, and she soon put them back in their container before slipping the bottle back in her purse.

These people, they're the ones driving her mad and forcing her to turn to these harmful substances. It was her step-father that got her hooked on the first place and working for Vikram only worsened her condition. But she isn't gonna let them affect her. Instead, she's gonna fight against them, the drugs, the society. She's going to prove them all wrong.

Shivaay watched her battle and finally opened the door when he saw her breaking down in tears. He made sure to shut the door behind him before moving towards her.

Shivaay: Are you okay?

Hearing his voice relaxed her tense muscles as she got up to hug him. It only felt right and even more so when he comforted her. She herself had no idea what was going on, but the solace she found in his arms kept her in that position.

Shivaay: I'm really proud of you Anika.

He separated himself from her and kept a hand on her face. 

Shivaay: Jiss tarah se tumne situation handle kiya, voh situation joh bhi ho, You've come a long way

Before, she wouldn't even think once before popping those harmful chemicals down her throat. And now here she was, stopping herself.

Shivaay: Do you want to talk about it?

Anika just shook her head, indicating that she would rather keep it to herself for now.

Shivaay: Okay, that's fine. Whatever it is, just remember that you're above all these things

Anika: I'm going to prove them wrong. Yeh Anika daregi nahi

She wiped away her tears

Shivaay: Yes, tum darogi nahi

They both straightened themselves up before leaving the room.

Shivaay: Vaise I thought I told someone to stay at home?

Thinking to lighten up the mood a little, he found the opportunity to ask why she wasn't in the comfort of her own home.

Anika: Aapko pata hai ki mujhse yeh sab nahi hota

She told him clearly that she was bored with the whole work from home thing. Shivaay allowed her to return to the office properly from the next day with the promise that she doesn't work too late. Of course, Anika immediately agreed as the condition he set seemed fairly reasonable.

Shivaay was elated that Anika was now a more open and happier person. She had changed drastically since their first meeting and he keeps telling himself that. He couldn't even imagine how joyous she would be once she got over the whole drugs thing. Anika didn't tell him what the matter was and his curiosity really wanted to know. So for this task, he called his trustworthy Khannah to send him the office CCTV clip, with the hope he can get an idea of what happened just moments earlier.