Chapter 14 - A Simple, Carefree Life

The sound of her phone's ringtone made Anika's eyes slightly open. Since the curtains were still pulled and the room was dark, the only way she could tell it was daytime was the small beams peeping in from underneath. Reaching out for her phone on the side of the table, Anika answered the call shutting her eyes again

Anika: Hello

Her voice came out a little slurred, since she was still half-asleep. Additionally she didn't pay attention to who was calling.

Shivaay: Anika are you okay?

Recognising the voice, it was as if all her sleepiness disappeared in a second. Anika sat up on the bed and rubbed her eyes.

Anika: mein theek hoon

Shivaay: toh how come you're not in office

Anika: office?

Mumbling as she got out of bed, Anika parted the phone from her ear and glanced at the time

Anika: 9:00 bajh gaya?

She spoke in alarm, and hurriedly opened the curtains of her room.

Shivaay: relax aur araam se ajaana, kohi rush nahi

He cut the call and Anika kept the cell phone on the table beside her. It took a second for her to remember that Gauri was no longer living in the same house.

Their relation was so different, and difficult to maintain before the last few months. But in that time, Anika got so used to having her little sister around it was as if they never faced a rough patch in their relationship.

She didn't have the will to go to work that day, her body felt weak and tired. Somehow she managed to shuffle over to the wardrobe and throw a loose front slit kurta over her head. This was paired with jeans, a style which was very different in comparison to her usual formals. There were no meetings, where she needed to be present, scheduled for today so the woman hoped she'd be fine in the attire. Running her fingers lightly through her hair, Anika grabbed a bag and slid her phone in before clasping it shut.

If it were a normal day, Anika would have taken something to eat on the go. But today she had to make herself a mug of coffee to stay awake. After satisfying herself with that drink, she hurriedly applied her lip gloss before locking the main door on her way out. She was too lethargic to drive, hence called for a cab to take her.

When she entered the office building, she felt a little better. Reaching her room she dropped her bag on the floor and slouched on the chair. As she landed the chair moved back a little, so Anika used the wheels to spin around on the spot whilst looking at the ceiling.

A knock on her cabin door bought the chair to a halt.

Anika: come in

She meekly said before her boss opened the door

Shivaay: good morning Anika

Anika: you too

The tiredness was obvious in her eyes, and her gruff voice also gave it away.

Shivaay: I wouldn't have called you if it wasn't important, lekin aaj ka meeting ke liye mujhe voh files chahiye. You had them right?

Anika: haan just give me one moment

Heaving herself out of the chair, Anika walked over to the cabinet at the back of the room and dragged the draw towards her. It didn't take long for her to locate the file, so she quickly tugged it out.

Anika: here you go

After closing the draw, she handed over the black file.

Shivaay: doosra wala?