Chapter 5

July 17th, 1983.

Three days until the party.

"He left without you." The plushie spoke, firmly gripped in Chris's grasp. He was petrified, hiding under one of the party tables, staring in fear at the monsters on the stage. They cast a dark shadow, and moved as if they were alive, yet seemed so fake too. He never understood how the other children had loved the robots so much, nor did he understand why his father loved to work on them too. 

"He knows that you hate it here." 

Fredbear was right. Michael knew that Chris hated being here, and most of all he hated being here alone. It was close to closing hours, and he had remembered seeing his father walk out of the establishment to go do some errands; most likely to buy spare parts, as usual. Surely, someone would come to save him, if it was not Michael or his father, it would most definitely be ever-energetic Lizzie. 

"You are right beside the exit. If you run, you can make it." The calm voice reassured him, and although he had full intention on leaving, Christopher couldn't muster the courage to move an inch. All he did was sit under the table, shaking like a leaf, feeling as if he would pass out at any moment. His eyes glossed over and the tears started to form, even though he tried to hold them back. Michael would be laughing at him right now. Calling him weak and pathetic. Threatening him that if he cried any louder, he'd tell Charlie and embarrass him in front of his only friend.

Chris wished people were more like Charlotte Emily.

"Hurry, run toward the exit." Fredbear snapped him out of his train of thought. He weakly stood up, thin legs still shaky as he tried to get his footing. He held Fredbear to his chest, squeezing him for comfort. 

He headed towards the right, where the exit was, and tried his best not to look back at the stage, where Spring Bonnie was standing, with his eerily cruel-seeming smile and dead eyes. 

Suddenly, he almost ran into one of the employees, suited up in Fredbear, who seemed on their way to get it off in the saferoom. Chris panicked, and ran the other direction, towards the stage.

"You can find help if you can get past them. You have to be strong." Fredbear reassured, as Chris neared closer and closer to the stage.

He couldn't do it. He was too scared. He stared at Spring Bonnie and it stared back, as if it was staring directly into his soul. He collapsed to his knees again, shaking and sobbing, burying his face into Fredbear. 

"Tomorrow is another day." The plushie said, but didn't speak again. 

---

"Chris? Are you alright?" A familiar voice said, and he looked up to face Mr. Emily. Chris stayed silent, the tears still rolling down his face, and he sniffled. He wiped them off and stood up from under the table. 

"N-No... Michael left me h-here alone..." He stuttered in-between sniffles, still shaking. His eyes darted around nervously, but Henry's dark brown eyes looked concerned for his sake yet calm and trustworthy.

"Your father told me to come and pick you up. Apparently, Michael is in a lot of trouble, so I'm guessing him leaving you here is why."

"Oh." Chris couldn't help but have a weak smile on his face. Michael was in trouble for what he did, and it made him feel a bit better about his situation.

"Charlie insisted on coming too, she's waiting outside for us."

"Really?" His eyes lightened up. Charlie was nice to him, and she never said mean things to him.  

Heading outside of the building, Chris was greeted with a familiar face.

"Hi Chris!" Charlie flashed a wide smile at him and waved cheerfully. He didn't even notice until a few seconds later that he was smiling like a fool. It was like her happiness was contagious. 

"Hi Charlie." He said in his soft and timid voice, a small grin on his face. Charlie had never failed to lift his mood. 

Mr. Emily was pretty cool too, in his opinion. He always seemed concerned about other people, and treated them with kindness.  It was a contrast from Fatha, who had been very caring before, but now he seemed so far away, as if he wasn't there at all.

They entered Mr. Emily's car, and off they were to the Afton household.

---

"Michael Fritz Afton, what in bloody hell is wrong with you?" William yelled at his son, hanging up the phone after calling Henry. "Do you think that kind of behavior is acceptable? What's gotten into you?" 

Michael stared at him coldly, seeming completely unfazed. He clenched his fists at his sides, holding in his feelings, and even then, he felt no remorse. 

William was visibly pissed off. His movements were rigid and tense, and fire seemed to burn in his eyes. He was in absolute disbelief that his son just decided to leave his child in a pizzeria alone.

William took a deep breath, and then exhaled. He covered his face with his hand and sighed. 

"Michael. Why did you do that to your brother?"

Silence. William was only answered with the same icy glare.

"Why did you do that to your brother?" He raised his voice this time, barely able to keep his patience for his eldest son.  

"Because..." He trailed off, mumbling crude insults. There was a scowl on his face now, clearly he was upset and felt like he had better things to do with his time. 

"I'll pretend I didn't hear what you just said. You're grounded."

"Wha-"

"Two weeks. Everyday you come back from school, you are to come straight home and you're going to help me work at Fredbear's. I'll be telling Jeremy's parents too, so if you even think about skipping school with him, you're going to be in serious trouble." He stated sternly, staring him down intensely.

Michael flinched as reality suddenly set in. He wasn't used to this. He never got into much trouble before. He was always the favorite. Why was Fatha so mad? Chris deserved it.

That's what he had kept telling himself. Chris deserved it. He had torn this family apart. He was the reason why mom left. Soon, Fatha would realize it too.

He'd realize the truth.

"Do you understand?" William asked harshly.

"Yes sir."

---

That night, as he laid down in his bed staring up at the ceiling, he heard noises. Chris and Lizzie were playing together, and he could hear their laughter from the other room. He gripped onto the pillow he was holding in frustration. Just hearing that brat's voice made him pissed.  He was so angry, but mostly confused. He punched the pillow and felt something wet drip onto it; he hadn't even realized it himself, but he was crying.

Are you a loser or something? Stop fucking crying, you pussy. He told himself, yet the tears wouldn't stop. He was silent, but the tears wouldn't stop pouring down his face and dripping onto his bed. 

This is why Jeremy would never love you. You're weak. Pathetic. Stop crying and act like a man. This is nothing to cry over. You can't do anything about it now. Perfect timing, of course you have to have a fucking migraine now. 

He punched the pillow again.

You're so god damn useless. At least do something right, and get rid of that little brat. All he does is make things worse. Maybe then, Mum would come back. Maybe then, everyone would be happy again.

He went back to staring up at the ceiling blankly, thoughts swarming through his head, and drifted off to sleep.