4

Alchemy is a strictly scientific concept.

It seemed complicated, magical even when people took ordinary things such as metal or concrete and created something entirely new and terrifyingly magnificent with its power. But it wasn't anything beyond chemistry, a series of meticulous calculations and the basic understandings of the laws of Reconstruction. All it took to master alchemy was to use energy to reform a shape into a greater shape, or take the same shape and break down the material. There was nothing magnificent about it to the alchemists who had used it everyday, and mastered it over years until it became second nature.

But (Y/n)'s Alchemy just seemed so different somehow.

As any other alchemist, she focused on the Comprehension, Deconstruction, and Reconstruction of the molecular and atomic makeup of a matter to perform her alchemy based tasks, so even she couldn't understand how something as spiritual and innate as her empathy tied into the energy that Alchemy produced when she connected with Envy.

(Y/n) liked to consider her empathy as a sixth sense- her ability to put herself into others' positions and to detect the colors that associated with human emotion. It was a part of her that she had grown proud of after she found that it was useful when interacting with the people she loved. Before Roy adopted her, empathy confused and frightened her. She hadn't even been sure of what it was and how it deluged her like some kind of inexplicable power. As she grew older, she discovered its handiness beyond connecting with others.

Empaths had the ability to detect dangerous situations, and with (Y/n) that skill transformed into something of a superpower. The first time she felt that ominous chill travel down her back and shock her senses into alertness, she was far younger and the situation had been much less life threatening than the situations she found herself in at fifteen.

She was seven, and Roy was away- at war with Ishval. Maes' wife had urged Roy to let the child stay at their home while he was away, and the Flame Alchemist agreed- though he found it hard to say goodbye to the child he had only recently taken under his wing. He could only pray that he wouldn't die, and would make it back to her in one piece.

He'd never had a reason to pray before.

(Y/n) was playing outside of the quaint Hughes home one day when the feeling overtook her body, strange and eerie. She frowned, bottom lip jutting outward as she looked all around her. The child let out the most blood curdling scream when she saw a snake slithering toward the back of her ankle from out of a bush, and she darted into the home before the rest of the neighborhood could ponder if someone had been murdered.

The feeling only grew stronger the more experienced she became, and it helped a hell of a lot of people when she embarked on missions.

The color of the energy that she produced was another story, only one that she couldn't explain. Every alchemist she knew produced those signature blue clusters of energy when they performed alchemy. When hers turned out to be a golden color, she thought something was wrong. Roy looked into it, but there had never been any record of golden Alchemic rays. She freaked out about it for a while until the thought faded away with time as her goals became clearer in her view, her focus zoning in on much more important things.

(Y/n) guessed once or twice that she just had a trait about her that made her unique, made her stand out during her State Alchemist assessment and years after that. Not once had she considered the idea of it being a result of her empathy- the one thing she didn't realize was stronger than ordinary.

Far stronger.

-

It was 9:15.

Hours away from noon.