34

The air went still as the seemingly soulless creature stood inhumanly still before the group of treacherous children. His aura in comparison to his fellow comrades was unmatched. Sure, Pride exuded an entirely different energy all on its own, but standing in the Fuhrer's presence made it feel as though you were suffocated beneath the sheer unfiltered rage and power the dark haired ruler possessed. It made (Y/n)'s stomach ache to think that this horrible energy was that of the man that reigned over the country she and her loved ones inhabited. As long as Amestris remained under Fuhrer Bradley's control, it would have no choice but to plunge itself into destruction.

Roy Mustang wished for Bradley's position for a good reason, and (Y/n) had believed that his dreams to succeed the Fuhrer suited him rather well. Only now, Roy was resembling more of the Fuhrer he despised than his true self, therefore his ambitions would have to be revisited.

The group of misfits had very little time to react. Ling's first instinct was to stay and fight once his eyes landed on the double sword wielding Homunculus. Greed had even allowed him to remain in control considering the fact that the prince was hellbent on assisting in attacking the horrible being who was driving this country into devastation, all while smiling in people's faces and claiming to be a symbol of peace and protection. Ling couldn't stand men like him, who were given the chance to look after millions of people only to throw their lives away for absolutely nothing. As the son of an Emperor, as someone who sought to succeed his own father once he returned home to Xing, Ling viewed Fuhrer Bradley as the epitome of all that was wrong with the world. His job as a ruler was to protect and serve, but instead he was slaughtering and deceiving. What a waste of power.

The dark haired fifteen year old hadn't even realized that his hands were trembling and his nose was scrunching with anger until his face relaxed when he made eye contact with the blonde Rockbell who had subconsciously backed up closer to him. She looked at him with uncertainty swirling in her brown eyes. Her brows were knotted and her features were twisted sharply as if she were trying to be brave, but Ling could see the fear in her eyes. This was territory she was quite new to, and Ling understood that it would be best for her to avoid a situation like Gluttony all over again. The Yao was sure that Bradley knew exactly who Winry was, especially since he was the man who gave the direct order to split up the Mustang Unit and the Elrics when Maes died unless they wanted the Rockbell to be killed.

The onyx eyed male glanced up at (Y/n), confliction written across his face. She was gripping her sword tightly in her dominant hand, back arched as if she were avoiding a sharp point grazing her skin from behind. Her eyes didn't leave Bradley's shadow. Frankly, she almost looked as still as the aforementioned ruler. Perhaps it was something that Ling would never understand looking from the outside in, but it seemed that whenever (Y/n) was introduced to a Homunculus she had yet to encounter in person, the entire world paused its movements. Like it was fate, or some kind of groundbreaking event that tampered with the flow of time. It made him nervous, and it made him question if he was the only one to witness this detail in the young girl's interactions.

Ling should have known that the previous notion was far-fetched. Of course he wasn't the only person to have noticed this. The one person closest to her was sitting on the ground by her feet with an expression of knowing, crumbling the idea that Ling entertained for only a moment. Ling looked down at Edward Elric, who was still knelt down by his brother as he glanced frantically, yet angrily, between (Y/n), the Fuhrer, and his unconscious fourteen year old sibling. If anyone noticed (Y/n)'s interactions with these creatures from hell, it was the short, automail armed, blonde kid who looked as though he wanted to bark at Ling whenever he stepped within five feet of (Y/n)'s vicinity.

Ling let out a long sigh upon concluding what he'd have to do. He made a promise to (Y/n), one he swore he would not break no matter the circumstances, and that was to look after and protect Winry Rockbell. He (and Greed, though he would never outwardly admit it) had been honored to be bestowed the responsibility of caring for the Elrics' older friend. It may have been something of a hassle, and it certainly wasn't what he had signed up for when he trekked to Amestris in search of the Philosopher's Stone, but this important task of Ling's proved that (Y/n) saw him as someone she could trust with an incredibly valued life. That confidence (Y/n) displayed in the foreign prince alone filled the said boy with adrenaline, and the urge to do all that he could to ensure (Y/n) that there were people in this world, other than herself and Edward, that she could rely on.